rtague

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I see forsters and smith have standard Fiji live rock for $69.99 for 45lbs!,surely a great deal or is it just crappy lr,they say 40% coraline coverage on the face side, has anyone used this lr from F+S,anyone got pics?

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It will cost much more than that since it has to be overnighted. With that said, I will never buy LR from foster and smith again, I ordered about 100lbs and it was all boulders that weren't porous at all, I could have gotten the same rocks from my backyard. Even with priority overnight shipping it was all dead when I received it. I only use dry rock from BRS now, I love their pukani rocks.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I think its better to either get them from a local fish store or someone on MR. For me it was better because i was able to cherry pick the peaces that would best fit my set up. Or just get dry rock like marco rock, its pest free!...

rtague

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Thanks all,alot of hobbyists seem to like the dead pukani rock from bulk reef supply,does it eventully get that nice coraline algae or do you only get that with live rock? how do you build up the bio filtratration you get with live rock using a sump as a refugium with no bio balls etc?can you tell I'm new?,lol, please bare with the newbie:)

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Let it cycle with your tank, it will eventually become live rock and have that coraline algae. But it all takes time. You can ask someone to give you some scapings of coraline algae from there tanks to help speed up your growth. Once it starts growing you can strub it off alittle so it can spread.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Manhattan aqaurium has nice rocks, but aren't they dyed .. To make it look like coraline ?

They have/had about 3 differnt type rocks. The ones you were talking about were a bit on the expensive side. Didnt see much coraline on the otherones but coraline grows pretty fast.

njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good experience with Dr. Foster Smith live rock, bought 45 lbs but it was their premium fiji rock so I paid about $160-$170 with shipping. It came covered in all sorts of goodies, cycling took forever. All sorts of growths were on it and even had a clam attached on one of the rocks. Nowadays though I will just stick to aqua cultured rocks so I feel better about not having harmed a reef.

Never had good experience with buying rocks from stores, paying more than $5/lb, I've seen $8/lbs in some places, means i could easily have paid $250-$400 for rocks.

I remember I paid one store $80 for a 10lb rock. It was porous but had no growth compared to the stuff I got from Dr. Foster Smith. Ended up being tossed in the backyard. Should have spent the dough on a garden gnome instead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: