Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have one of those 5 gal dosers I fill up and slow drip into my sump. It keeps my sump at a constant level fo a while. Hope this helps.....

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What do you currently keep your Temp at? if you keep it up at 80-81 you could lower it a bit, Chiller...

With covering a tank / sump, yes you can slow down evap. but you also will increase the temps. I decided to try placing the Oceanic glass tank cover over top and my temp went up 4 degrees. So if you do that make sure you are around to monitor it. A combination of covering and a chiller would probably work best.

I have a 58 reef, I would top off one to one and a half gallons per day. I only added a chiller this past sunday and maybe the evap. is down slightly.

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Herman is very much right (As much as I hate to agree with herman :kidding: ), Water is cheaper then a chiller. But if you cover the entire tank, you may need something to lower your temps.

its kind of give and take, cover to lower evap, but temps go up... Top off will work to recoupe the lost water, but you need to lower the temps still.

I personally say add the slow drip doser or a dosing pump, as others recommended. I only use a chiller because the 6 pumps I have are keeping my temps up. but as a side effect, it appears my evap is down a little... my temps went from 84 to 79.

Rich

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well for some strange reason my water in the sump is going down alot pretty much everyday... i think it might be the micron bag that is restricting waterflow when it gets a little dirty.. (possiblity) my temp tank is constant 78-79 degrees.... i guess that is the problem..

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
And heres what you've been waiting for........empty the tank of all the water it contains. Dry up everything that even has a drop of water on it and there you have it, you NEVER have to worry about evap ever again ;).

Can you smell my sarcastic arse at work? I think you can, evap happens just gotta deal with it :D.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
And heres what you've been waiting for........empty the tank of all the water it contains. Dry up everything that even has a drop of water on it and there you have it, you NEVER have to worry about evap ever again ;).

Can you smell my sarcastic arse at work? I think you can, evap happens just gotta deal with it :D.
LOL Kris..and here i was biting my nails anxiously waiting for to the solution :screama:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: