masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Once again, I agree with house. The oxygen exchange takes place in the sump as well as the tank, but you don't want to limit the surface area that much. The greater the surface area for the exchange to take place, the healthier your tank will be.

I try to evaporate as much water in the summer months as possible. I believe in cooling by evaporation. I run multiple fans across my tank and sump for cooling. In the winter I evap about 1 - 1.5 gallons/day. In the summer that goes up to 2 - 2.5 gal/day. But I don't have to run a chiller.

master

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Hmmmm I think if you do a tiny rain dance next to your tank you will get a little storm over your sump. Try it, and please video tape it LOLOL.

I second this suggestion~:bunny:

bad coffee said:
My litermeter is the best thing I've ever bought for my reef. (except RODI)

B

I've been searching for a LiterMeter...but can't locate any. They must be good.
They have LiterMeter III, but are pretty costly.

I purchased a medical doser.
I will report back with updates.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
reefman said:
wouldn't a top off device be better than a doser for top offs? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I think so, that's why I use an auto topoff. A doser is relying on a fixed amount of evaporation daily. It doesn't adjust itself for high or low humidity days. I believe a doser has to be tweaked for the time of year you're using it. My tank evaporates varying amounts depending upon the season.

JM $.02,
Russ

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
masterswimmer said:
I think so, that's why I use an auto topoff. A doser is relying on a fixed amount of evaporation daily. It doesn't adjust itself for high or low humidity days. I believe a doser has to be tweaked for the time of year you're using it. My tank evaporates varying amounts depending upon the season.

JM $.02,
Russ

Total agreement period

cla009

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the best, buy a Tunze Osmolator. I swear by this system, cleaned the sensor once a year. Had it running for about 3 years. The system uses an optical sensor which will detect if i remove a cup of water from my 125gal. Its expensive, thats the only downside to it.

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
controlling evaporation

Me personally I like evaporation, to controll it you can put a glass top on your tank and sump, Evaportion is great because your allway's putting in fresh Rodi water in, also on my 2nd and 4 th weeks i add reef Advantage to my make up water and 3rd week i add reef builder with my make up water..:fish:

Reef Guy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The best way to control evaporation is downgrade/upgrade to a 24 gal aquapod. Mine has been running for a week now with about half a glass of evaporation. This thing is great, before my 75 was evaporating @ about 1+ gal a day

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: