• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
ive heard of all these high name brand powerheads for these elaborate reef tanks but i am only setting up some softies and would like to know some information like how many gph would you reccomend and is there a whole big difference in the no name branders on ebay compared to the big name brand expensive powerheads (both are just moving water) what would you reccomend. i know sps tanks usually have 40-50x the tank i would assume softies would be less, thanks for any input

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
ive heard of all these high name brand powerheads for these elaborate reef tanks but i am only setting up some softies and would like to know some information like how many gph would you reccomend and is there a whole big difference in the no name branders on ebay compared to the big name brand expensive powerheads (both are just moving water) what would you reccomend. i know sps tanks usually have 40-50x the tank i would assume softies would be less, thanks for any input

When I first started I had the opinion that a Powerhead is a powerhead and just moves water.

Since I got my MP10 for my 28g I will never go back to another power head. I already have an MP40 for my new tank. The Echotech's have the actual motor on the outside of the glass and the propeller on the inside. This does 2 things, does not put any extra heat in the water, and also saves a ton of space.

If I didn't have the Echotechs, I would prob have gone with the Korilias. The Echotechs are also SILENT! and very controllable. I am not saying that you can't control other power heads, but not like the echotechs IMO.

They are big bucks for a power head, but one could replace multiple of others.

Ebay is great for some things, but I have found that you get what you pay for. You also have to be careful of any electrical leakage (prob not the right term) which can effect your livestock. Flow is one of the most important things IMO, so anyway you decide make sure that you have enough of it.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
When I first started I had the opinion that a Powerhead is a powerhead and just moves water.

Since I got my MP10 for my 28g I will never go back to another power head. I already have an MP40 for my new tank. The Echotech's have the actual motor on the outside of the glass and the propeller on the inside. This does 2 things, does not put any extra heat in the water, and also saves a ton of space.

If I didn't have the Echotechs, I would prob have gone with the Korilias. The Echotechs are also SILENT! and very controllable. I am not saying that you can't control other power heads, but not like the echotechs IMO.

They are big bucks for a power head, but one could replace multiple of others.

Ebay is great for some things, but I have found that you get what you pay for. You also have to be careful of any electrical leakage (prob not the right term) which can effect your livestock. Flow is one of the most important things IMO, so anyway you decide make sure that you have enough of it.

thats what i was thinking if the $20 one on ebay is a dud i just replace it no tears over spilt milk

any clue on how times over should i move the tank, its a 55 and my return is 580 gph as well as a 200 gph hob filter and i want to add 1 or 2 powerheads....i dont have alot to spend currently and may just go with a cheapo for now and maybe upgrade later if i dont like it? thanks for the help though

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
thats what i was thinking if the $20 one on ebay is a dud i just replace it no tears over spilt milk

any clue on how times over should i move the tank, its a 55 and my return is 580 gph as well as a 200 gph hob filter and i want to add 1 or 2 powerheads....i dont have alot to spend currently and may just go with a cheapo for now and maybe upgrade later if i dont like it? thanks for the help though

dont go with the $20 ebay ones. they are probably worth all of $20 bucks. Look on here, people are always selling some better powerheads. You can prob get a couple used Korilias for like $25 each.. and they are "probably" much better.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
dont go with the $20 ebay ones. they are probably worth all of $20 bucks. Look on here, people are always selling some better powerheads. You can prob get a couple used Korilias for like $25 each.. and they are "probably" much better.

how do you feel about 2 marineland maxi jet 900s, theyre on sale on amazon with free shipping for $24....theyre a name brand(i know not the top of the list but name brand nonetheless) i tried the marketplace and i wasnt able to view it and no one on craigslist had anything go for my size tank for reasonable price

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I thought the same thing at first. This is an expensive hobby for the most part. Saving money and getting better items will make your system all that, much better and in the end will be able to take care of easier

Pick up a couple cheapos for now since you NEED the flow. But start saving your pennies for the echotechs

vortechs are expensive i dont have that kind of money to blow

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I thought the same thing at first. This is an expensive hobby for the most part. Saving money and getting better items will make your system all that, much better and in the end will be able to take care of easier

Pick up a couple cheapos for now since you NEED the flow. But start saving your pennies for the echotechs

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

that being said other than vortechs what is a high quality powerhead that wont drain my pocket as much, vortechs are very nice but id like to try my success before dropping that amount of money to something i may fall off the train of if i dont enjoy it as much as my FOWLR

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I agree, get a couple Koralias and start saving for the MP40.

For a 75 I would buy two small PHs instead of one large one.

Gotham Aquatics in the Marketplace of MR has some nice prices and Tito is great to deal with.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
When did vortech pumps first come out? I remember I use to use power sweeps around 6 years ago, then switching to the more fan like pumps a year after. The first vortechs I bought was around 3-4 years ago, but before then i dont think I had heard of them.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Go with Koralias. It should be more than enough if you are just starting. Do not get those cheap ones from ebay though.

Vortechs are great but too expensive IMO. I do have one MP40W ES

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I've used koralia's, vortechs, and I recently picked up some tunzes... I am really impressed by the tunzes! I would check them out...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: