Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I battled some red slime a few months ago and it's beginning to come back... I think a big part of the problem is my plumbing. You can see the red (black!) that has built up in the tubes into and out of my chiller. I'm planning to replace the tubes this week but I have no idea what the inside of the chiller looks like... I feel like it is probably packed with this cyano/algae mix. Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning out the inside of the chiller? Is it even possible? My 2 ideas were to pump hot tap water through it for a couple of hours or to pump water through it for a while with a mega-dose of redslime and algae killers. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Attachments

• IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 969
  • IMAG0503.jpg
    IMAG0503.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 973

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
IMO change the hoses and run it in & out of a bucket (not your tank) with Red Slime remover, then give it a rinse with RO water. As you say, you don't know what is inside of the unit.

Many people do clean their chiller using a water/vinegar mix as that helps remove Ca deposits, I just don't know if that will do anything for the cyano (which commonly will form in hoses that remain damp/wet).

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I'd agree w/Kathy. Go w/new hoses & flush the chiller w/RO water apart from your system using Red Slime Remover. I never heard about running water backwards through the chiller. Ill give it a try on mine next season though.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd agree w/Kathy. Go w/new hoses & flush the chiller w/RO water apart from your system using Red Slime Remover. I never heard about running water backwards through the chiller. Ill give it a try on mine next season though.

Yeah I definitely meant using separate water. I think i'm going to pass on the vinegar for now... I also don't see the point in running it backwards as it's just a coil of water next to a coil of coolant inside the chiller but I will give it a try and see if anything more gets kicked out by going in reverse.

loneracer05

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
Vinegar should work great. It changes the ph so red slime can't live.also why calcium gets cleared away aswell. Bleach will also work just rinse it well. Obviously vinegar and bleach should be used in a separate container not in the tank

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Vinegar should work great. It changes the ph so red slime can't live.also why calcium gets cleared away aswell. Bleach will also work just rinse it well. Obviously vinegar and bleach should be used in a separate container not in the tank

What ratio would I use of vinegar to water??

I know to rinse the chilled thoroughly with RO/DI water when I'm done before hooking it back up... but does it matter what I run through it when cleaning? Should I run tap water, RO/DI water, or RO/DI+salt water when I mix in the vinegar or red slime killer?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Run water and vinegar 1 gallon vinegar per 5 gallons of water in reverse in a bucket with a pump for a day or 2.

Sent from my LG G2X using Reefs

Sent from my LG G2X using Reefs

I wound up going with the strong does of red slime killer... honestly I didn't see much coming out of the chiller. I ran it for a couple hours alternating between the inputs. I then ran luke warm tap water through it for a while in both directions also. And finally RO/DI water in both directions... water didn't change color much through any of this and no chunks of algae/red slime. Re-plumed everything and I'm good to go!

The tubes going in/out of my chiller did get some direct sunlight during the day so I covered them up but will keep an eye to make sure it doesn't start growing back out of the chiller again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: