rlm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I am new to the saltwater world and decided to get a 12 Gallon Fluval Edge, I plan to upgrade the lighting system in the future. So far I decided to add 10lbs of Live Sand, saltwater and 9lbs of Live Rock that is cured (according to my LFS). I bought a heater and set the temp to 78. The LFS told me to buy a Buffer system set to help grow caroline algae on the live rock? is that true? So far I've been adding 3 ml of Buffer A and Buffer B for the past two days.

So far this is day 2 of my tank with the setup and I used my test kit and everything comes out normal, the only thing is that the PH is about 8.0. What is my next step to help this caroline algae process? Should I start changing 10% of the water on the first week? Also I noticed a small green plant growing on the backside of the rock. Check out pic number 3. Please help.

dsc0604f.jpg

dsc0605hp.jpg

dsc0606i.jpg

dsc0607v.jpg

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Whoa throttle back..

Concern your self with cycling the tank first and getting all your parameters in line first. Your probably getting good reading because the tank hasnt cycled yet.

First off what kits are you using?

Test every other day and keep a log of all your results...you should see a spike in NH3, NO2 and NO3. After a few days that spike should drop. A water change or two and you can start adding some small cheap fish...

Now this process is different for everyone..some take days, some take weeks. Have patience.

As for the Buffer I would hold off. You dont need to be adding anything til you start adding coral.

rlm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa throttle back..

Concern your self with cycling the tank first and getting all your parameters in line first. Your probably getting good reading because the tank hasnt cycled yet.

First off what kits are you using?

Test every other day and keep a log of all your results...you should see a spike in NH3, NO2 and NO3. After a few days that spike should drop. A water change or two and you can start adding some small cheap fish...

Now this process is different for everyone..some take days, some take weeks. Have patience.

As for the Buffer I would hold off. You dont need to be adding anything til you start adding coral.

Cool beans, thanks alot for the info. I am using a saltwater kit now, but i am going to buy a reef kit over the weekend. I see patience is the key.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Patience is KEY! I would cycle your tank first. After you cycle, do your first water change. Make sure your lighting is off when you cycle. You are def gonna have a spike in your parameters. Before you add anything to your tank as far as CUC and fish, make sure your parameters are in check. Get yourself a salifert or elios test kit. Remember take everything slow. When you do things slowly, you will have a very happy tank, and you will enjoy it without the headaches.

All the best, and welcome

~James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: