reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
I have a light that runs 4 80watt t5 bulbs, i am taking it apart and shrinking it to a 54 watt bulb 5ft bulb to a 4ft bulb, my question is can i use same ballast, it has 4 seprate ballast

Depend what ballasts they are :)
Many new electronic ballast can run 48" 54w bulb and also 60" 80w bulb but all that informations you can find printed on the ballast.
If you can get some pic will be easier ... ;)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
most ballast dont burn or run like using a icecap ballast, you can end up in a couple situations, A the bulbs will have a considerable shortened life span, B can over drive to the point of just burning out or causing the bulb to pop, C might work for a short period and cause a fire,
alot of ballast will be marked if your able to run them at different wattage, example alot of the ballast that are for 39w t5 can be used on 24w t5 but the wire config is different and can run more 24w then 39w, if un-certain list the exact ballast in it and read what it says on the ballast, most will be specific in wattage and linear running

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: