Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
flakes,pellets,brime shrimp just switch them up every other day for example

Monday= Flakes
Tuesday= Pellets
Wednesday= Brime Shrimp

then just repeat the pattern over again.
^^^^^^^^^IMO...USELESS INFORMATION! ^^^^^^^^^^^
(but I do recommend the BRIME shrimp)...Angelo, did you actually READ the post?

jdl...Are you adding a clean up crew, to clean up your tank? ...
They will clean up by eating whatever is in the tank/sand/rockwork.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I've never heard of brime shrimp, but brine shrimp don't really have any nutritional value unless you plan on hatching them. The cuc you'd put in a 6g won't need more than a pinch of food every couple of days. How long have you had your tank set up?

edit: Albano beat me!

jdl10011

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
more details

Well, I anticipate my tank will finish cycling in the next few days... I asked about feeding because if I have nothing else besides live rock and sand in the tank, is there enough organic matter for the CUC to feed on?
Or do they need extraneous feeding material?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well, I anticipate my tank will finish cycling in the next few days... I asked about feeding because if I have nothing else besides live rock and sand in the tank, is there enough organic matter for the CUC to feed on?
Or do they need extraneous feeding material?
what did you start the cycle with...was it live rock or dead rock to start with?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
well ok... you had live rock and live sand... now did you feed the tank? Did you give a flake or 2 for bacteria to feed on, or did you just think you add live rock and sand and hope bacteria survives?

jdl10011

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
to answer some of your questions in response to mine

to answer some questions: I've had experienced reefers tell me that the bacteria on the rock are sufficient to cycle a tank (esp since i have a high rock:water ratio); sounds like there are mixed opions regarding this. regardless, my ammonia has trended down to 0. i've since added small amount of food as I figure it can't hurt until my CUC arrives next week, and will follow parameters closely.

Sounds like a reg varied feeding regimen is what people do for their cuc.
Recommend brands of flakes/pellets/brine?

And to answer another question that came up: I have 3 long-term goals for the tank: 1. to have a really nice pulsing xenia. 2. am deciding between a shrimp/goby pair or an anemona/clownfish pair or both. 3. to have a few other soft coral.

Thanks all for the help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: