coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
I've been using ozone for the good part of the last 10 years on my reef system... However, looking to upgrade my skimmer and don't want to run ozone in the new skimmer due to issues that ozone can create with plastics. I know there are ozone reactors but those run $250 or so for a good one like the reef octopus... so... I was thinking why not just convert to a UV system and sell off the ozone setup that I currently have.

Is this a good idea or not? for about the same price of a good ozone reactor I can purchase what I have been reading is the best UV out there (the emperor aquatics) so should I go for the UV setup? or stick with Ozone? also does UV affect/control the ORP like Ozone? has anyone used the emperor UV sterilizers... good and bad please. I want to know. any and all suggestions are highly welcomed. much appreciated in advance.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Uv

Well I?m thinking of getting UV for my 110G with fhis, I have 90lb of live rock, some soft corals & MegaFlow4 Sump/Refugim with pods, protein skimmer, & a NextReef reactor with media, Carbon & Phosphate, my thing is I want to have a crystal clear water, & I want it to help with controlling algae (I use tap water, I know it bad but I will get a RO/DI soon) I don?t want to kill all the good stuff so I was thinking just to run the UV at night, so I will NOT run it 24/7

This is what I want to get 9W or the 13W: http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_In_T...rilizers-JBJ_Lighting-JB4121-FIUVUUOS-vi.html

Meadowlane

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Aqua uv got a diagram on how much flow is needed for reef tank.

How do I size a UV for a Reef Tanks?In salt water reef environments choose a UV that matches your flow rate per hour in the 30,000 or 45,000 columns of our chart. Flow rates in the 75,000 and 90,000 columns will destroy the planktonic food supply for the Reef.

How do I size a UV for a Reef Tanks?In salt water reef environments choose a UV that matches your flow rate per hour in the 30,000 or 45,000 columns of our chart. Flow rates in the 75,000 and 90,000 columns will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef.

Last edited:

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Aqua uv got a diagram on how much flow is needed for reef tank.

How do I size a UV for a Reef Tanks?In salt water reef environments choose a UV that matches your flow rate per hour in the 30,000 or 45,000 columns of our chart. Flow rates in the 75,000 and 90,000 columns will destroy the planktonic food supply for the Reef.

How do I size a UV for a Reef Tanks?In salt water reef environments choose a UV that matches your flow rate per hour in the 30,000 or 45,000 columns of our chart. Flow rates in the 75,000 and 90,000 columns will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef.

I dont get it,

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
First of all, I would suggest an RO/DI to minimize your algae growth and introduce pure water to the system so you know its not what your introducing to the system that's creating the problem from the beginning.
Just my 2 cents.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't suggest UV's on a reef tank as they kill as much good bacteria as bad bacteria, nor will they effectively control any parasitic issues as the only water they will treat is the water that passes directly through/in front of the light, and the bulb must be changed frequently to be effective.

Carbon is your best best for keeping water clear (a filter sock will help there too). Algae is controlled by keeping low phosphates & nitrates, and for Ariel - please get yourself a rodi before you buy anything else for your tank! All you are doing with tap water is filling your rocks & sand bed with phosphates :(

..IMO

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
looks like my thread was hi-jaked... lol

Ariel... look into emperor aquatics. thier web site will explain everything you need to know about flow rates and what you really need in way of UV. long contact time is the key with UV's so other brands are inferior IMO. having done all of the resurch I am opting against a UV on my reef. I like Ozone as it does not kill the good stuff but still clarifies the water. still have to figure out how to run it isolated from my skimmer. I may run it in a seperate reactor but not sure which???

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: