yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I received my my new return pump today (mag9). The suft plumbing tube was 3/4 inch i think was to small for the mag. I had some 1inch I think housing lying around that I decided to use. Only problem was that it was to big for the blue piece (see picture) the connected the return hose to the tank. I put a (medal thing in the picture) on the hose and tightened it. Turned on the pump for a minute to see if it would run without leaking and so far so good. Could this work long term? Or am I an idiot for even trying??

Thank you for your comments!

Attachments

• Plumbing 1.jpeg
    Plumbing 1.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 132

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I would not do that... Either get the right size tube, or get a new reducer (part that screws onto the pump). They sell them at homedepot.

I would be afraid that if the vinyl starts to get a little stiff you may have a problem since you are basically pinching the hose.

And that metal thing is a "hose clamp" :)

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
^ to reiterate... the hose will become dry from the salt running through it... better to just get something that will fit properly.. You want to avoid any unfortunate accidents. Especially the kind that you can avoid if you do it properly.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I believe that the Mag 9 is 3/4 out. Which is standard for returns. did you do that to both sides of the hose??? or just the pump end?

I would just get 3/4 hose. and use proper size. But still use the hose clamps on it!!!!

yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ok, you guys were right. The barb fitting is 3/4 of an inch. I'm using a flexible hose that is 1inch. Question is, the out of the mag9 is 3/4 inch but the the threads make even an 1" hose a very tight fit. Is there an adapter to the out of a mag 9?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
What do you mean an adapter. Uyou want to run 3/4 return right???

Ok, you guys were right. The barb fitting is 3/4 of an inch. I'm using a flexible hose that is 1inch. Question is, the out of the mag9 is 3/4 inch but the the threads make even an 1" hose a very tight fit. Is there an adapter to the out of a mag 9?

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yes, I want to run a 3/4 return. Here is a a few pictures that explain my dilemma.

The green flex hose is 3/4. The return from the pump is 3/4. If i held my hose all day it would fit. However, it wont fit permanently on the out of the pump. Am I being clear?

Attachments

• pump1.JPG
    pump1.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
  • pump2.jpeg
    pump2.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 54
  • pump3.JPG
    pump3.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 50
  • pump4.JPG
    pump4.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 51

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
the reason why your hose wont fit is because its metric, that hose is made by eheim.
If you don't want to spend the money on a barb fitting is, boil a cup of water, and submerse 2" of the hose in it for about 2 min, it will get very soft, then you can fit it over the threads of the mag, then complete with a plastic clamp.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AS BOILING WATER WILL SCOLD YOU.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: