jopik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aiptasia_X.jpg
I bought this Aiptasia X to kill Aiptasia. Tried so many times to kill Aiptasia IT JUST DOESNT WORK.

Anything else I can do to DESTROY IT?

please help Im lost.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Get kalkwasser mix with few drops of water to make a thick paste. Then use a syringe. I used the plastic ones that come with the salifert test kits. Turn off floe and start with a dash so they retract then once they do smother the hell out of it with paste. Careful with corals. One of my zoas ingested a but and looked like it was ginna explode.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can also use White Vinegar, and a syringe.;) I fill the syringe with the vinegar, inject the vinegar in to the mouth of the aiptasia.poof their a gonna.;)

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
What size tank do you have, how many aiptasia do you have, and where are they located?

If the aiptasia are located in a spot you can't get to, and if they are really overtaking your tank, then you might want to consider a "biological" option like the Berghia nudibranch.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would recommend something like a "majano wand/stick" . If you are good at diy things it is easy to make. I made one and I feel like it has better result then aptasia x etc. It is more pinpoint and you dint have to turn off the flow. If you are interested in making one pm me.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Is it a reef tank? How long is it set up? What kind of corals do you have? If the tank is stable and you don't have a lot of expensive corals I would get a "healthy Raccoon butterfly" and he would eat all of it. If you have some expensive corals I would get a green (leatherjacket) file-fish as he will be less destructive then the Raccoon. It is my opinion that when aiptasia is out of control you can break down the tank and wire brush it off or let a healthy butterfly fish eat it. It is not going to go away and it will take over the tank. For every aiptasia you see there are 10 more

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
the problem w/ that is that sometimes those shrimp which are called peppermints by the way don't eat the aiptasia at all and sometimes eat corals such as zoos and acans.

Very true. I had two peppermint shrimps in my reef. They took care of the few aiptasia, but also nibbled on my acans once they were gone (and not just to steal food). So if you do use peppermint shrimps I would remove them once the aiptasia have been taken care of.

I also used berghia nudi's on my 125 gallon FOWLR that was heavily infested with aiptasia. It took a few months but they ate them all. Even in my overflows that were literally aiptasia gardens. What is even better is that the aiptasia never came back.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
With that many aiptaisia, I wouldn't do the kalk paste as it will totally throw off your calcium/alkalinity balance. It also burns any coral, anemone etc. it happens to get on (and it will get on something you don't want it to). For me, Aiptaisia-X has worked the best of all the commercial solutions, but there are always going to be little ones you can't see that eventually grow to a size where you can see them.

In nature, there is always some critter that eats some other critter you don't want and all have pros and cons. If you can go with the natural method I would, but there are some things to keep in mind.

Shrimp are a toss up. It depends on the species and the ones that don't eat aiptasia look like the ones that do so you aren't likely to know which on you've got.

Some fish eat them, like most Butterfly Fish or the Bristletail Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). However Butterflys are delicate and neither they nor the Filefish are completely reef safe.

Berghia Nudibranchs are probably the best option. But if the flow in the tank is to strong they tend to get blown away or sucked into power heads and overflows. And if that doesn't get them any wrasse in your tank will.

So, how you deal with aiptaisa _ and if you're successful - depends on the individual nature of your tank and what lives in it.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i dry the rock. they will die off after a day or two. If you do it little by little it won't have much of affect on cycling. Guaranteed aptasia death.

little by little huh if you have alot of rock and you do it little by little by the time you get to the third rock the first rock will be infested again.i got a copperband butterfly 2 weeks ago he wont eat the big ones but every little one except for where my clowns are laying eggs have been eaten by him.im not touching them anymore with aiptasia x so they can multiply a little and give him some food through the day.by the way if you are not a expierenced reefer with perfect parameters i would not house a copperband.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: