jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello:

I am going to rinse my tank out in place because my mother in law used CLR to try to scrape the Coraline algae off of my overflows: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/chemistry/110926-mother-law-used-clr-my-tank.html

Is it okay for me to use tap water to rinse the tank out? What I plan on doing (thank you KathyC) is filling my 120 with tap water and two gallons of white vinegar tonight and letting it sit overnight and emptying it out tomorrow evening. Is it okay for me to use tap water for this project?

I am also hoping the Coraline algae would be able to be scraped off with the white vinegar sitting in there overnight =).

Thanks,

Joe

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I do not think that there is a problem doing that. But I would add the tap water and also water conditioner (to take out chlorine) just to be sure.

Others may chime in, but since you can use tap water in the tank with livestock, while not recommended, I don't see how it would hurt. But the conditioner will make sure that you are rid of any stray chlorine.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I would put water in the tank and then add some de-chlorinator then just add your vinegar. This is over and above, but when it comes to my fish I do not want to hurt them. I would be worried that there could be some residual chlorine when you empty the tank.

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thank you. KathyC recommended that I use the Python to empty and fill the tank. Does anyone know if one of the LFS stocks the Python? I am in New Hyde Park. I would use buckets but that will be a lot of work which I do not mind but my wife will be pissed if I get water on our wood floor. I am already nervous about explaining to her that the house might smell like vinegar for a week.......

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I just want to confirm that overnight would be more than enough time to let the vinegar sit or should I let it sit longer?

TAPPPP WATER NOOOO lol just J/k
:)
it is okay, when I cleaned mine out I used 2 gallons of white vinegar for my 90g....then I ran it over night, and put my korila to run to to keep the vinegar and water mixing :)
Plus I don't like stagnet water .
GL

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to confirm that overnight would be more than enough time to let the vinegar sit or should I let it sit longer?

Using tap water, I would probably rinse off the area that had CLR applied to it. Then, I would just take the vinegar full strength and mop the area you want to clean, keep it wet and using one of those 3M green kitchen scrubbers, mop with the sponge side and scrub with the rough side, until it's clean. I've done this many times over the years and have only used tap water in the process. If you still want to fill it, and you intend to empty it, I would just use tap water. The residual chlorine will dissipate itself, or you can run a PH with a venturi tube for aeration to accelerate the process.
If you are just going to fill it and add vinegar, I don't think 2 gal. will be enough when added to 120 gal. of water. I would add a couple of PH's and direct the flow at the area you want to clean.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can also use a regular garden hose until you get your hands on a Python or Lee' gravel cleaner.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+23755&pcatid=23755
Before the python came out I used a garden hose.;) To fill you simply attach what ever faucet you can get it to fit, and turn on the water.lol To empty the tank put one end in the tank, and suck the air out of the other end. The water then will flow right out.;)

Yes it is save to use tap water to clean it as stated above, and no you do not need to add conditioner unless of course it makes you feel safer.;)

BTW, you should purchase the Python (if you can find it), or the Lee one online.;) Way cheaper online then in any LFS.

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am not too concerned with the Coraline algae as I am with the the CLR. The Coraline coming off would be a plus. I just want to give the tank an overnight rinse with white vinegar. How many gallons of white vinegar would you recommend for my 120 gallon? This will be a good leak test too considering the tank has been off line for over a year.

Thanks,

Joe

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If you are only interested in the removal of the clr, I would just put a gallon of white vinegar in it, let it run over night, then rinse it a few times with plain water. You can also dry it with some paper towels, and as already stated the chlorine will dissipate.;)

Best wishes.....

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are only interested in the removal of the clr, I would just put a gallon of white vinegar in it, let it run over night, then rinse it a few times with plain water. You can also dry it with some paper towels, and as already stated the chlorine will dissipate.;)

Best wishes.....

How would you recommend I rinse the tank? I am going to have it filled tonight by 8 and I will start emptying it tomorrow evening. After I empty the tank should I fill it up again with clean tap water and leave it over night again or can I just take damp rags and wipe the tank down?

Since the Coraline algae which I am not too worried about quite possibly could be removed how many gallons would I be safe adding for that purpose? My wife recommends I go for gold and scrape the Coraline off since I am filling the tank anyway and she is probably right.

Thanks,

Joe

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would just fill & empty the tank a couple of times. I would not let it sit over night since it is only rinsing.;) This would not be difficult if you are using the hose trick.;)

As for the vinegar I couldn't tell you exactly how much you would need in order to get the coraline off. I've never bothered to take coraline off of the back glass where it really accumulates since it will just turn purple again.;) The front & side glass I scrape it with a nice sharp straight razor.;) Similar to the ones you can get at HD or Lowes. They work just fine.:)

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a pic of the tank and Coraline: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=32363&catid=member&imageuser=238

The Coraline does not look as bad though as in the pic. I was able to scrape more of it off with some vinegar and elbow grease but I am afraid of cracking the overflow because the Coraline is not coming off at all at this point and I am afraid too much elbow grease may crack the overflow.

I am going to fill it up tonight, dump it tomorrow and see what happens. I want to start filling the tank this weekend. I have been procrastinating because of all the power outages throughout the Northeast but it is time the tank is up and running.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Call who I told you about the Python, if you are hell bent on owning an overpriced one today - I will send (RB) you a couple of places that likely have them in stock.

As far as the coralline on the overflows..it will soon be covered over with real coralline, not worth the effort to get it off of there. The stuff attaches to plastic like it is cement :(

..and what I told you about wiping down the tank - let it air dry after that and you should be ready to rock & roll :)

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Call who I told you about the Python, if you are hell bent on owning an overpriced one today - I will send (RB) you a couple of places that likely have them in stock.

As far as the coralline on the overflows..it will soon be covered over with real coralline, not worth the effort to get it off of there. The stuff attaches to plastic like it is cement :(

..and what I told you about wiping down the tank - let it air dry after that and you should be ready to rock & roll :)

Okay, hehe. My son has a conformation function from 4 to 5 but after that it is go time. Did I mention that my son is making me take him to Game stop for a midnight release of Modern Warfare 3? After filling the tank I think I will have enough time to scrub the tank down a little until midnight hehe.

Thanks again =).

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Just curious. Those who think you can't use tap water to clean a tank, do you drink tap water?
By the way, I use tap water in my tank. But it is a bit filtered using a solid block carbon filter and it is also the water I drink. I am not arguing with the idea of using rodi water to help eliminate algae problems but some of the responses in this thread are really entertaining.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: