Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
hi,
how do you get rid of possible hitchhikers on CUC snails' shells?
thanks,
doug

I don't know anyone that has dipped snails in my 10+ years in saltwater.;)

Hopefully someone that has been at saltwater longer then I have knows about this.

We acclimate them. Is this what you are asking about?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
That is all I've ever done with the ones in my reefs.;)

Let's wait a little, and see if someone else actually does dip them, and in what for that matter.lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
seriously...no garlic & butter???

no one worries about hitchhikers on snails?

I do :)
I acclimate mine to my tank water in a container outside of the tank, and then change the water a few times once they are acclimated, always looking - with a magifying glass - to see if there is anything there that should not be.
Not 100% fool-proof but it makes me feel better.

I know of no dip that would be safe for an invert to be dipped in, they are extremely sensitive critters :snail:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
thanks, awilda.
Dude stop worrying..this is a little ridiculous lol I have never heard of such a thing. Proper acclimation for any fish,coral or invert is as follows.

Step 1 Float bag 20 mins to temp acclimate.
Step 2 Add some of your tank water to the bag (approx 1/10 the bag volume is the formula I use) continue to float another 15 mins or so.
Step 3 Do it again.
Step 4 one more time.
Step 5 release and enjoy.

I have used this method my entire fish keeping "career" and never had a loss using it. Some people like to drip in a bucket or something but in my opinion it sucks. The animals are sitting out while the water they are in is getting lower in temp and it takes a long time. When you keep the bag floating the temp stays the same at all times.

daaznmofo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
I don't think his question is about acclimation, more about making sure that he doesn't bring any pests into his system which is valid.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I don't think his question is about acclimation, more about making sure that he doesn't bring any pests into his system which is valid.
Ok what kind of pests are going to hitchhike on a snail? It's unlikely anything that could be detrimental to a reef would do this. There's no such thing as snail dip and if you did dip them in anything odds are they would die. If w are concerned about flatworms last I checked they ate CORALS not snails. Odds they would be hiding in 1 are extremely unlikely. Coral pests will be near/on coral not on snails. Not to mention that by the time they are in your tank they have probably been in several tanks already. Caught by a diver probably put in a system he has then shipped to a wholesaler then a dealer then to you. I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm sure it's very slim. Hence why I told him not to worry,just like I never heard anyone worry about such a thing before.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Proper acclimation for any fish,coral or invert is as follows.

Step 1 Float bag 20 mins to temp acclimate.
Step 2 Add some of your tank water to the bag (approx 1/10 the bag volume is the formula I use) continue to float another 15 mins or so.
Step 3 Do it again.
Step 4 one more time.

Step 5 release and enjoy.

I have used this method my entire fish keeping "career" and never had a loss using it. Some people like to drip in a bucket or something but in my opinion it sucks. The animals are sitting out while the water they are in is getting lower in temp and it takes a long time. When you keep the bag floating the temp stays the same at all times.

Trig, I do something similar, except that I use a bowl in the tank anchored by the top tank's cross brace, and not so much water that the bowl will float away.hehehe
I also keep doing this until the salinity in the bowl matches that of the tank.;)
You are right about the bucket water getting cold, therefor when the fish is to big for the bowl I use a heater, and air pump in the bucket.:)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
OK. in your argument, you don't QT at all - just float & release? i just don't want to be another stat about FW or pest problems. for a noob, it always - "you should of read the stickys or did you do you research" this is why this forum is so great - i get to ask the question noone else has raised & different opinions are given. in my OCD-ness, i want to do this right the first time & not have to go thru the cleansing myself...personally, i'd just like to read about it. :tongue1: thanks, all! :cheekkiss

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: