my first skimmer is driving me nuts

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I PICK UP A BAK PAK SKIMMER w/maxi jet USED and its driving me nuts too much bubbles and it stops skimming every couple of hours. P.s im not using bio stuff in it.

Tonyscoots84

REEF ON!
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
just started it today
i think u answered ur own question... lmao... give it some time to break in... then with some minor adjustments if it is capable of it ull be skimming full collection cups in no time...

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry buddy but I have the bak pak 2 and have the same results and yes it does stop skimming every once in awhile, (it always gets me nervous) but than seems to turbo out and like wet skim the hell out of the tank afterwards..but i feel your pain the bubbles suck, and never stop.....:mad:

Its part of the bak pak characteristics, but I say learn to live with it or buy a better skimmer, thats what im gonna do when i get the $$$...but for now its fine....:irked:

Last edited:

alistair

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What size of tank are you using it on? I used mine on a 29g for over a year with no problems.
Tonyscots has it right .... you have to give it time!!! ....be patient, it may take 3-4 weeks to settle in.
After it is running properly the amount of skimming will depend on your water quality and bio-load.

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
its driving me nuts im scared its going to over flow im going to get the coral life skimmer that has a drain so i can sleep at night. i ajust it its working go after a while my cup is full of water im going to end up selling it i just took it off my tank.

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I PUT SKIMMER ON AGAIN this time with bio stuff in it and there are less bubbles so im going to give it a shot and see if it works good. thanks guys for your help

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

alistair

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't think the problem is bubbles in the tank, hence the need for a bubble trap.
The problem is a very wet/ watery skimate filling up the collection cup.

Yes the remora is a better skimmer (I ran both on a 29g tank) but on a small I don't think it is worth the extra $.

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
alistair said:
I don't think the problem is bubbles in the tank, hence the need for a bubble trap.
The problem is a very wet/ watery skimate filling up the collection cup.

Yes the remora is a better skimmer (I ran both on a 29g tank) but on a small I don't think it is worth the extra $.
Are you referring to a general problem with the bakpak skimmer or to nycitalian's problem?

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
well its running but not skimming much but bubbles are low now so im just waiting it out. im ordering the coral life skimmer for my girl and im going to see witch works better.

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
MY GIRL ONE DAY TELLS ME I WANT A TANK SO I GOT HER THE TANK AND ITS BEEN UP FOR 3 months and her tank is doing better then mine .and all she has is a penguin filter with a maxi jet 900

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I dont believe in filters, but if i had to choose between a penguin filter and a CPR skimmer im with your daughter. IMO, that skimmer is a POS i cant see how it will fill up cups.
My EuroReef on a 25G this is what it does daily

Lloyd

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have a view on the Red Sea Berlin skimmer? It came with my the sump for my 280 g tank. It doesn't produce a whole lot of skimmate. How much should be produced?

Featured Sponsors