slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Planning a new 120 Tank Reef ready or HOB overflow?

Hey Guys, I need some advise on planning out a new tank build.

I am looking to do a 120 deep blue pro (48x24x24) tank and I am not sure if I should do a Reef Ready with dual overflows or use a HOB overflow on a standard tank. My main concerns are noise, reliability and ease of use.

I decided to buy a lifereef double overflow to test it out and get comfortable with using a sump. For reference I've had a saltwater tank for more than 10 years, just never used a sump. As nice as this overflow is, it is more complicated than a standard overflow. I just started testing it with a 30gallon tank and 20gallon bucket acting as a sump for now.

I decided to test out the lifereef dual overflow because of the noise problems I've seen some people have with reef ready overflows. I wasnt sure if I could use the beananimal method with the deep blue tank, and I hear that it can be difficult to keep a herbie drain dialed in correctly.

Despite the fact that I've already purchased the overflow, is this something I should stick with, or just bite the bullet and do a reef ready tank? Is there any benefit to using an HOB overflow versus a reef-ready tank with built in overflow? So far the only benefit I can see is that it is smaller and does not occupy nearly as much space.

Your thoughts? What would you do if you started over?

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just pick up 90 gal DB RR and it is very quite. The only thing if you buy deep Blue their bulk heads you have to connect hose. So if you want to run PVC you need to change the bulk fitting. Either way the over flow is very quite.

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do the RR. If it has the megaflow overflow chamber and a durso, you should be ready to go. I'd do the hoses on both overflow and return, so if it comes with a barbed fitting BH, all you need is the appropriate sized hoses, typically 1 1/4" for the overflow(s) and 3/4" for the return(s).

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for answering my questions. So far this overflow is not proving to be as easy as I thought it would be. After several hours of trial and error I cannot establish a good comprimise between water flow and noise. I've tried varying pump output (Mag9), regulating drain output (1 1/2" gate valve), using 1 or 2 drains, and using 1 or 2 U- Tubes.

Is a megaflow this much work to regulate?

Thanks,
Justin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: