yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'd had this Anemone for about a month.
Lately he has been hiding in the rocks for the past two weeks.
Last week I upgraded my lighting because I honestly did not have enought lighting. Now have 2 ati white and 2 ati actinics.

This was not an even split. The main anemone is is about 6 inches +.
The new anemone is about 2".

Attachments

• 2011-11-17_20-57-56_306.jpg
    2011-11-17_20-57-56_306.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 2011-11-17_20-58-17_336.jpg
    2011-11-17_20-58-17_336.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 246

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What kind of anemone is it? Was it always this light in color? (might just be your pics?)

They split for a couple of reasons...one (unfortunately) is because they are trying to save their own lives by reproducing, another is because they have reached a certain size and it's time for them to split (different types grow to different sizes). Not uncommon for them to hide when they split, but usually they don't hide for a couple of weeks first.

Has the 'baby' developed it's mouth yet? You shouldn't fee it until it has and do be sure to give it finely chopped food.

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
What kind of anemone is it? Was it always this light in color? (might just be your pics?)

They split for a couple of reasons...one (unfortunately) is because they are trying to save their own lives by reproducing, another is because they have reached a certain size and it's time for them to split (different types grow to different sizes). Not uncommon for them to hide when they split, but usually they don't hide for a couple of weeks first.

Has the 'baby' developed it's mouth yet? You shouldn't fee it until it has and do be sure to give it finely chopped food.

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not quite sure.
I strongly believe its a Green bubble tip anemone.
The tips were bubble when i got him.
Then due to my ignorance (not enough lighting) the bubble tip went away and the tentacles elongated searching for light.

When i have moon lights on I can see the green tips.
I hope this was not a bleached anemone.

I can't see the baby mouth because of his position in the tank.
Was going to move him but I better not. I'm still wet behind the ear lol.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
That nem looks like it bleached out. This could be from lack of lighting that initiated the split due to the survival instinct.
Feed them small bits of HUFA seafoods soaked in a vitamin supplement and see if they color up at all before you do anything.
The new light will be crucial but if you only have 4 T5 lights on a 90 gallon they are probably not going to make it. They would need a minimum of 6. Unless they are really high in the tank.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not quite sure.
I strongly believe its a Green bubble tip anemone.
The tips were bubble when i got him.
Then due to my ignorance (not enough lighting) the bubble tip went away and the tentacles elongated searching for light.

When i have moon lights on I can see the green tips.
I hope this was not a bleached anemone.

I can't see the baby mouth because of his position in the tank.
Was going to move him but I better not. I'm still wet behind the ear lol.

Your upgraded lighting may make him color up again, don't overdo it on the light. How many hours a day are the daylights running?

Moonlights make everything more colorful..

The bubble tips don't 'go away' due to insufficient light, nor do they elongate due to reaching for it.

DO NOT MOVE IT (was I shouting ? :))
Wait another day and gently squirt a little mysis near it. If it eats fine , if not, that's ok too as you don;t know if the mouth is there yet.
..patience ...:)

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
This my 20 gallon system. 90 gallon has only been cycling for 2 weeks and nitrates are barely noticeable.
Waiting a few more weeks.
Plus my sump is not ready yet.
Trying to do it patiently this time.

4 bulbs 24 inch lighting fixture.
I run the lights 7 hours a day.
I will go pick up the good food. I was told to just feed it thawed raw shrimp with no preservatives.

I will take your advice and purchase quality foods and supplement tomorrow.
I already made the mistake.
:iamwithst ( I can do wrong all by myself)
Hopefully I can do it right this time.

Thanks a million.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
We have one more question for ya...what lighting had been on the tank and when did you switch to these new lights?

We appreciate your taking the advice offered !! :)

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It is common for a nem to hide when they first settle into a tank. Sometimes for weeks.
Im curious if this is in the 90 or the 20?
What kind of lighting do you have on the nem?

We have one more question for ya...what lighting had been on the tank and when did you switch to these new lights?

We appreciate your taking the advice offered !! :)

I had a single blue actinic t8 bulb 15W and a 60W cool white clip on light.

Now i have 2 actinic t5 bulb and 2 white t5 bulb ( ATI bulbs)
I just got the new lighting this past sunday.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: