jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello:
I am running in to some issues and I need some expertly advice. I guess the best way to do it would be to list my problems. I have to say that I am frustrated but I know getting the ball rolling is the hardest part.

1. My two feed bulkheads were leaking (1") so I went to Fish town and replaced them yesterday. I filled the overflows with water and low and behold one of the 1-1/4" return bulkheads leaked. I noticed that the previous owner did not use Teflon tape so I unscrewed the nut on the leaking bulkhead and with the bulkhead in place I rolled some Teflon tape on to the fitting and tightened the bulkhead up again and no leak !! My biggest issue at the moment with this is that I am nervous that after setting the tank up one of the two return bulk heads will leak again and I will regret not replacing them. Will it be best for me to just replace the two remaining return bulks or since they are not leaking and are currently under the leak test leave them alone?

2. I have a leak on the internal piping in the overflow. The previous tank owner again did not use Teflon tape on the 3/4" male adapter that screws in to the bulkhead and I thought I added enough Teflon tape but apparently not. The leak would technically not be a leak once all of the plumbing is done and the leak is seriously very, very little. I will be able to remove that pipe with a basin wrench but I would rather not disturb the bulkhead so for this reason alone I would leave it but I need expert opinion on what I should do.

3. The previous owner did not glue all of the PVC fittings and the pipe in the overflow can be removed pretty easily. Do you recommend that all fittings be permanently glued or no reason to do so since the pressure is so low?

4. Cabinet doors. I need cabinet doors for my stand and I was wondering where I could just order doors? I did Google cabinet doors and I did see websites where they can be ordered but I would like to see the doors. Has anyone ordered doors for their stand locally (Long Island, Queens, etc.)?

I am sure I can come up with more questions and most likely will but I think this is enough for now. I have had to what I call "patch" together a tank and stand which makes me nervous because there could be a nightmare looming ahead. I do not mind doing the work but it just seems like all this patchwork is only setting me up for a disaster.

Joe

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:
I am running in to some issues and I need some expertly advice. I guess the best way to do it would be to list my problems. I have to say that I am frustrated but I know getting the ball rolling is the hardest part.

1. My two feed bulkheads were leaking (1") so I went to Fish town and replaced them yesterday. I filled the overflows with water and low and behold one of the 1-1/4" return bulkheads leaked. I noticed that the previous owner did not use Teflon tape so I unscrewed the nut on the leaking bulkhead and with the bulkhead in place I rolled some Teflon tape on to the fitting and tightened the bulkhead up again and no leak !! My biggest issue at the moment with this is that I am nervous that after setting the tank up one of the two return bulk heads will leak again and I will regret not replacing them. Will it be best for me to just replace the two remaining return bulks or since they are not leaking and are currently under the leak test leave them alone?

Hi ... calm down please ... reef-keeping is an activity to relax and develop the knowledge about corals, marine fish:flower: ... it is not to have a nervous breakdown:headache: ... so please calm down:flower:

I don't know the cost of such bulk heads but if your not entirely secure with the repair you done and consider the damage and loss that a leaking one can represent, like loosing corals and fish, flooding the house and eventually the neighbours house, damaging the equipment, etc... I would consider to replace them, you will sleep better and feel better, and your system will also benefit.

2. I have a leak on the internal piping in the overflow. The previous tank owner again did not use Teflon tape on the 3/4" male adapter that screws in to the bulkhead and I thought I added enough Teflon tape but apparently not. The leak would technically not be a leak once all of the plumbing is done and the leak is seriously very, very little. I will be able to remove that pipe with a basin wrench but I would rather not disturb the bulkhead so for this reason alone I would leave it but I need expert opinion on what I should do.

Again please consider the damages of not repairing ... over time a small leak can turn into a big leak ... I would repair.

3. The previous owner did not glue all of the PVC fittings and the pipe in the overflow can be removed pretty easily. Do you recommend that all fittings be permanently glued or no reason to do so since the pressure is so low?

If you have an intermediate solution that you feel good with, like for example Teflon tape, use it, if not and you are not secure about the performance of these fittings, then glue them properly.

4. Cabinet doors. I need cabinet doors for my stand and I was wondering where I could just order doors? I did Google cabinet doors and I did see websites where they can be ordered but I would like to see the doors. Has anyone ordered doors for their stand locally (Long Island, Queens, etc.)?

About this I could maybe help you through the internet, but then again who better than the locals. I suggest that instead of using cabinet doors, you could use panels that you would remove or put in place easily and these panels would hold in place with magnets... I use that solution in my system, in my case it is black 4mm acrylic sheets used as panels and attached to the frame on which the tank stands, by magnets. Its easy and not expensive. We are now waiting to upgrade our system by coupling a lagoon to it, and this to will have acrylic panels. Its a suggestion should it of course suit your system and fancy.

I am sure I can come up with more questions and most likely will but I think this is enough for now. I have had to what I call "patch" together a tank and stand which makes me nervous because there could be a nightmare looming ahead. I do not mind doing the work but it just seems like all this patchwork is only setting me up for a disaster.

Joe

Well do come back with more questions, that's what the forum is for among other things, and yes you are patching but if you do it well things will work well ... like for example what is done with cars ... Overhauling :approve::flower:

Pedro Nuno

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hey Joe, The best advise i could give you is to start from scratch replacing all the plumbing. I'm sure someone locally from this site can come by and give you a hand. I have had my fair share of battles with plumbing leaks and they aren't something to mess with. Best bet, Drain all water. Replace all bulkheads. Teflon all fittings and glue where applicable... some people advise against gluing inside the overflow but i did. Hopefully someone can come by and help you so you can start enjoying your new setup.

Jonny

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Threads for bulkhead nut shouldn't need teflon tape. The rubber washer on the inside tank side flannel is what seals it. Either its damaged or there is debris under it causing the leaks.

Drain pipe, and return pipe inside the overflow are just press fit, so that they can be removed If needed. Otherwise if u had to remove them, you would have to take the bulkhead out with them.

By putting the tape on the threads of the leaking bulkhead, you are holding the water back on the outside of the tank, instead of from the inside.

Safest and easiest would be to replace the overflow kits if you question their integrity.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Just to confirm.
Teflon tape is not a sealant, all it does is prevent friction building up would could make the threads lock before a seal can be formed. When you use teflon you can get a greater seal merely because you can screw the threads further.

To be sure you should replace the bulkhead plumbing and use teflon tape if they dont seem to tighten.
If you dont replace you will be thinking about this for a long time.

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just to confirm.
Teflon tape is not a sealant, all it does is prevent friction building up would could make the threads lock before a seal can be formed. When you use teflon you can get a greater seal merely because you can screw the threads further.

To be sure you should replace the bulkhead plumbing and use teflon tape if they dont seem to tighten.
If you dont replace you will be thinking about this for a long time.

Yeah, it was already bothering me all night.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:....

Joe

Hi Joe :)

These are the panels I told you about ... 4mm black acrylic sheet cut to the size wanted and then the magnets are glued to them in adequate number and position.

Paineis_de_acr_lico_preto_fixa_o.jpg

Paineis_de_acr_lico_preto.jpg

Pedro Nuno

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: