yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have a 48" Wood Stand for my 90 gallon.
The sump has developed a small leak just like rkaragozler said it would.

Now the tank is cycling and I can't get the sump out for repair.
My plan was to cut the middle piece of wood. :sad2:

Will the tank come down with a thunderous crash after i do that lol

Attachments

• 2011-11-19_10-42-32_2.jpg
    2011-11-19_10-42-32_2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 155

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look inside see if it actually supports. It may just be the stop for the doors. You have no brace in the center rear. If you think it supports do like rkaragozler says and support it prior to removing it. You could also remove some water and save it. When done put it back.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The middle brace is just stapled in and can be easily removed in order to place larger sumps or other equipment in the stand that otherwise wouldn't fit. I've never seen anyone do it with the tank in place and full but we've done it a few times with a towel and a mallet (to prevent marring the wood). Under the circumstances here, I would agree with the idea to drain the sump and do the repair in place because while that brace probably won't cause the tank to come crashing down it does at least help stiffen the stand laterally. I would also get a small piece of marine plywood and slide it under the sump while it's drained to eliminate whatever uneven pressure might have caused the leak in the first place.

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I looked inside and the center is not supporting the middle.
Looks like its just a brace to prevent the stand from bowing out.

This picture is of the back piece. Same as the front. It was easier to take a picture of the back wood lol

With that said the piece is coming out with a mallet.
Hopefully everything goes smooth and I can reef another day.
:iamwithst

Attachments

• 2011-11-19_12-39-20_699.jpg
    2011-11-19_12-39-20_699.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 121

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I would personally be on the safe side considering you dont have any live stock in the tank. wold be to drain a good bit of water from the tank store then put it back in after you put the brace back. but any way good luck.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I removed the center support on my stand. I reinforced the horizontal pieces first with some 3/4 ply gorilla glued and screwed in place.
I replaced it in a way that I could remove it whenever I want. It's a big help to be able to remove my sump.
I would drain the tank as much as possible first though.

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys.
I was able to get the center piece out by hammering it out.
Four crown staples were holding it in place.
I left all water in place.
I took the sump out and quickly hammered the center piece back in.
I did not glue it back on since I'm still waiting on the sump to cure dry after repair. Tomorrow I will do a leak test.

And if all goes as planned I will put everything back in and screw the piece back on. I will probably not glue it back on. Because I still have to build my refigium and will probably need to do this again.

So anyone that needs to do it can, but you didnt hear it from me. :shhh:
VERY RISKY.

Thanks guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: