slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,
I am upgrading from a 47 gallon sumpless tank setup to a 90Gallon all glass reef reday custom tank with 30 gallon sump. I am building the stand myself and have pretty much followed the rocketengineer design. I used 2x4 for the bottom sump section and glued and screwed 3/4 plywood on top of that. On the top of the stand I used 2x6's for legs and to frame out the box. I plan on covering that with 3/4" plywood too. The attached picture shows my stand as it is now. Note the colored plywood on top is not yet secured.
img0448gn.jpg

My question is how do I secure this plywood down? Glue? Screws? Or both? Also, since it is an all glass tank, I believe that I require styrofoam between the glass and stand. If so, how thick and what type should this be?

Thanks Everyone!
-Justin

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am still assembling all of the components. So far I only have a new Mag9 for a return pump and a new fluval e300 300W heater for the sump. For lighting I am moving over my 24 3w custom led array. I have a mix of 50/50 royal blue and white as well as a mix of 50 and 80 optics. If needed, I also have two relatively new Corallife 96w 20" quad power compact lights. My rock structure will be concentrated and centered in front of the single 8" overflow where my existing small coral collection will be. This is my best bet given my existing lighting ability.

As for skimmers I am evaluating and research the following, but I am open to all feedback and experience in this area.

Vertex IN-180
Lifereef SVS2-24insump
Reef Octopus XS200

The 30Gal sump will be a center return style with a refugium on one side and the skimmer on the other. The sump will be built once I choose a skimmer.
Thanks,
Justin

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would secure it with a very coarse wood screw and wood glue I've never heard of using styrofoam but i guess it couldnt hurt i always build my own tank stands and tops ( i do carpentry ) i will attach the pictures of the two i have built one for my 90gallon and the other for my 120 gallon with top

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

hope i was of some help feel free to hit me up anytime if you'd like

DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You can counter sink your holes and just screw the plywood down. I am not to sure about the styrofoam but I am sure someone can chime in that has a similar tank as you do.They are all good skimmers I just don't like the pumps on the reef octopus skimmers. I have the extreme 160 and the pump makes a lot of noise. But it can be just mine :)

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
You can counter sink your holes and just screw the plywood down. I am not to sure about the styrofoam but I am sure someone can chime in that has a similar tank as you do.They are all good skimmers I just don't like the pumps on the reef octopus skimmers. I have the extreme 160 and the pump makes a lot of noise. But it can be just mine :)

Might be see if something is caught in the needle wheel it happened to mine i have the same skimmer it had sucked in a small piece of crushed coral but once i got it out she ran silent as a mouse and +1 on the counter sinking of the screws but if he uses wood screws they countersink themselves as they grab the wood so that they are flush with the top and the right coarseness they will pull all the way down LOL so be gentle

DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I took apart tho whole pump and even ran it in vinegar for a few hours and nothing changed. I might just buy a new pump :)...

Might be see if something is caught in the needle wheel it happened to mine i have the same skimmer it had sucked in a small piece of crushed coral but once i got it out she ran silent as a mouse and +1 on the counter sinking of the screws but if he uses wood screws they countersink themselves as they grab the wood so that they are flush with the top and the right coarseness they will pull all the way down LOL so be gentle

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks guys for the help.

I've seen some people who say that they used styrofoam on rimless tanks like the one I am getting, but I am having trouble digging up details. The 5 tanks I've had before were all standard tanks and never needed styrofoam either.

I figured that countersinking was a good idea, but wasnt sure if that in itself would create any pressure points in time. I suppose filing in the holes with putty could help, but I'm no expert here.

My friend has a Reef Octopus and he says his makes noise but works well. He may consider replacing it for that reason.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just counter sunk my screws and used wood filler and it has been rock solid ever since. I used deck screws for my stand since it can withstand more water then the regular kind.

+1 on the deck use the deckmates and if yor using 3/4 ply for the top which that looks like once you screw it down and glue it youll be just fine the tow stands that i sent you the pictures of niether of them have plywood the black one is 2x4 with 1/4 inch ply for covering and the cherry one is all pine

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Montaquelaveist- I like the way that your stands came out. I hope mine look that good when I am done.

Last night I decided to caulk the inside edges of the bottom and painted the inside of the stand using exterior white paint. I also put a 2'x'4 3/4 plywood backing on it too. I left a 4" opening so that I can run the electrical wires with a drip loop and be able to plumb the 3/4 pvc return lines.

I think I will follow the advise given in this thread unless new information comes to light. i will glue the top plywood down, predrill a few holes and countersink it using the same 3" deck screws I used to assemble the unit. i will then cover the top plywood with 1/2" stryrofoam. That should cover all of my bases.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Montaquelaveist- I like the way that your stands came out. I hope mine look that good when I am done.

Last night I decided to caulk the inside edges of the bottom and painted the inside of the stand using exterior white paint. I also put a 2'x'4 3/4 plywood backing on it too. I left a 4" opening so that I can run the electrical wires with a drip loop and be able to plumb the 3/4 pvc return lines.

I think I will follow the advise given in this thread unless new information comes to light. i will glue the top plywood down, predrill a few holes and countersink it using the same 3" deck screws I used to assemble the unit. i will then cover the top plywood with 1/2" stryrofoam. That should cover all of my bases.

Thanks!

Thanx im sure it will good luck with the build it took some time for the cherry one 5 coats of poly to protect it from water and salt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: