Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So over the holiday vacation I took my wet/dry out and added a 20 gallon long tank with 3 sections. A bulk of the work was getting the plumbing under the stand and making it all fit right. But the one thing I noticed is evaporation! Holy cow. I though it was bad before its really bad now! I ordered and ATO today and it cant get here soon enough! The one thing I did not really take into consideration which i should of is the height of my skimmer (AquaC Urchin Pro) The removable cup needs far to much space to be removed. I'm thinking of tapping the side of the cup and adding a drain line. Have anyone ever done this to a skimmer? This should reduce the amount of times I will have to remove the cup.

Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah I don't see a need to cut into the skimmer. I'm talking about the cup. The drain would help a lot. I know I would still need to clean out the cup every now and then but the drain beats disconnecting the pump every time I need to empty it.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
How can it drain when it is surrounded by the body of the skimmer?
Or you will drill really high up on the cup which would limit any adjustments.

Attachments

• Urchin Pro_r9_c16.jpg
    Urchin Pro_r9_c16.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
LOL i didnt realze what type skimmer he was talking about! MY BAD>>>

Then yes I agree you will need to cut a notch down the side of the body of the skimmer to be able to get the tube low enough to actually drain it..

SORRY!!

Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How can it drain when it is surrounded by the body of the skimmer?
Or you will drill really high up on the cup which would limit any adjustments.
I didnt know there was an optional drain. I can do this with a router easily. And your right I didn't take into consideration the cup being submerge. Or I can just sell the skimmer and get more compact one. Its a great skimmer if you have space. Very quiet!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: