andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Designed for freshwater per the write up. Total wattage is 3.24 watts. That will be ok for fish only to see, but not for any photosynthetic corals. I have a 90 watt LED system in a tank about your size and I don't think it's enough for LPS.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Reefs require powerful lights. Those are not powerful at all.

Your tank happens to be very deep, you definitely want something that can penetrate the bottom.

I dont know what your budget is, but if you let us know maybe someone cant point you in the right direction.

Leds are not cheap, but then again nothing in this hobby is.

I'd also like to add that i don't even believe the reef capable light from marineland would work for your tank. Deep tanks can be hard to light.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
LED units generally come with 1 or 3 watt LEDS

if your set on getting leds and your budget is low i would suggest one unit of those 90 or 120Watt led chinese style lights...
Can check out - Boostled.com, Reef Koi, ebay, our used section. There are a bunch of different styles coming out of china, some people offer US warranties and some need to be shipped to china. Most are very similar to one another, just re-branded.

some are basic on/off
some have 1 cord for both blue and white
some have 2 cords [1 for blue / 1 for white]
some can be dimmed [More $$, and if thats what your looking for i would just suggest going with a diy or a reputable brand like listed below]

Heres some in our forsale section to give you an idea of what im talking about...
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/sale-trade/112715-2-led-120w-units-4-sale.html

I ran one for around a year, passed it along to the new buyer and he ran it over a year. was well worth the money.

If your budget is high, i would point you in the direction of Aqua illuminations, Acan Lighting, Something DIY, Orphek, etc...

Last edited:

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
im not set on it, even if t5's would work, i kinda want this to be my show tank and leave my 75gal to mess around with, but in this tank i want only 2 clowns and a goby and snails and crabs and wanted to start with corals. but any type of light thats good for that i really want, i just wanted leds because i knew they would last longer

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
As I said in my post, I have 90 watter. It's probably just about adequate for the lower light-demanding corals (softies, etc). I may have the same tank as you. It's an oceanic cube. I am in the process of looking for a higher wattage light (think about it; total wattage on the marineland is 3 watts; I am thinking of moving up to 150 from 90. You can spend anywhere from ~200 to 800 for LEDs.
I actually think the 90 watter is doing OK for me; I just feel the need to push it a little harder. There are a few units like this for sale on the site now.
Those Marinelands are 0.06 watts each! Don't even consider using them. You will just kill your livestock and have to upgrade later anyway.

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
the tank i have is a marineland kit i got at petco for 37$ so i couldnt help myself lol it was marked down from 150$ and it came with versa top and a hood light, i just want something really nice, do you think t5 hood with 10000 ocean lights be fine, because im running the 48" one on my 75?
and what website did you find them on sale?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: