al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
trying to do start an all zoa tank, doing some research online on placement on zoas/palys based on their colors. just curious where you guys place yours. im running a 150W LED over them in a 29 gal.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I place mine wherever I see an open space that needs covering. just mix them all in... it's fun to see what kind of color combinations you get if they end up intermixing among themselves.
You would end up driving yourself crazy if you try and organize zoas and palys by color.

knutez24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I haven't read anything based on color. Some do take higher intensity light levels better than others. I would just slowly move some up higher in the tank over time to acclimate them to the leds. Just be careful with them under the leds a 150W fixture is a beast over that size of a tank. Watch for sunburn..... or any color loss. Hopefully you can dim your fixture. Good Luck. Show us some pics!!!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I addressed the levels that a few different colors can be kept at on a thread here just this past week I think...Blues like to stay low, pinks can go higher..Oranges & greens don't seem to care much where they are.

BUT..by 'high' I don't mean up near the top of the tank..just higher than the ones that like to stay lower...(not very helpful eh?)

A purely zoa tank (imo) would have be be a fairly low tank, and a 29g wouldn't fit into that category :(

Perhaps you might want to consider having a 'zoa-garden' or two in your tank where you have many zoas grown closely together..towards the lower part of the tank where zoas start 'growing' from your rock work down onto your sand-bed (it helps if your aquascaping lends itself to a design like this with no sudden drop-offs to the sand-bed).

You could fill in the other parts of the tank with 'soft' shaped corals like finger leathers or Nepthea or gorgonians in different colors. Mushrooms would also look nice and come in a variety of colors BUT be sure to limit those to a single rock or 2 on the sandbed so they won't multiply all over and take over the tank.

And since you are getting the long answer...lol...Google the image for 'Color Wheel' - if you really want your colors to pop - place corals (zoas - or whatever) next to each other that are on opposite sides of the color wheel :)

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
thanks guys, well iw asnt going for the complementary colors on the color wheel when i said "placement based on color" i was asking where certain colored zoas liked to be placed. i should have clarified. thanks for the info though. i'll post pics as soon as they adjust! thanks again!

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have Darth Mauls, Sunny D's, Mindblowing Plays and Candy Apple Reds all at the top of my tank and they LOVE it up there (150w halide). The hornets (purple and red) weren't a big fan of being up high as well as the Rastas. Eagle Eyes also liked it up high in my tank. Really, like Kathy C said, it's just a matter of trying it out and adjusting accordingly.

Kathy, why would you say a shallow tank is better for a zoas only tank? I'm doing a 50b now and was planning on mostly z's and p's with SPS up top.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: