BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
PetSolutions & Fosters & Smith (online) have the best prices and FREE SHIPPING!

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I hear the sand fades and dosent stay black. The black beach has white sand mixed, the Hawaii Black is straight black. I was thinking of doing a yellow tang tank with black sand. Might go oolite instead. Undecided, ughhhh!

GL!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
IMO the 'live' sands aren't really worth the extra money you pay for them. If you are thinking of totally changing over your sand-bed to a black one and trying to avoid a cycle when you do so, you might consider buying dry sand and cycling it yourself before you add it to the tank.

One other thing about black sand-beds...they don't tend to stay very black for very long :( The critters that live in your live rock will knock all sorts of little pieces of rock all over the sand-bed in time and you will also have x amount of detritus settle in there too. Just a heads up :)

Triple R

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
im setting up a new tank and can cycle it before i set it up. also i know its not going stay black for long just like white sand doesn't stay white for that long either. just trying it out if i rely get annoyed with it ill switch it over to white but im going by what im interested in now

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
im setting up a new tank and can cycle it before i set it up. also i know its not going stay black for long just like white sand doesn't stay white for that long either. just trying it out if i rely get annoyed with it ill switch it over to white but im going by what im interested in now

Great then - if you are cycling a new tank, even more reason to buy the dry black sand and seed the tank with some L/R to get it cycled. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: