miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My qt is 2 wks old, been treating copper.i have firefish.

Want to swap the sponge with another that s been in dt sump. The sponge has pods, copper will kill them...will it cause a cycle, issue?

Other question is where can I get small styrofoam boxes..just to transport one bag.i only get big ones.

Thx

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I guess you are talking about filter sponges. You should try to shake off as many pods as you can to keep them in your display tank before doing the transfer.
Your quarantine setup should be able to handle a few pods dieing off.

Test for ammonia,nitrates, nitrites and do appropriate water changes if needed.

You mentioned swapping sponges, so just keep in mind you can't put the copper contaminated sponge back in your display tank. Nothing that been in contact with the copper can go back in the display tank ever, other than the fish.

Personally, I only use chemicals during quarantine if the fish shows signs of a disease.

Not sure where to get small Styrofoam boxes. I have a few from recieveing shipments here and there that I hung onto. If you're looking to transport something yourself (not shipping) a lot of people use those insulated six-pack coolers, either hard of soft..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: