Rating - 100%
22   0   0
There is algae in the tank. Not hair algae though. I have a yellow tang, lamerick angelfish, foxface, clarki clown, sallie lightfoot crab.. Are there alage tablets i can get? I feed little fishes green seaweed, mysis, rodgers reef rood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I feed mine algae wafers and he loves it. Seriously, throw one in the tank and he swims out to get it. He tries to stuff the whole piece in, but can't, then he takes it off to his hiding place.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Hey i had that issue with mine also then i started to feed my tank mates , that marineland gel food and then i also use those formula 2 flakes with garlic by ocean nutrition and my lawnmower is one of the most active eaters now , behind my tangs and mystery wrasse , try those flakes out , 8 bucks and your fish will love the garlic!
Let us know how it works out for ya.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have a tailspot blenny. When I first got him he ate nothing and really got thin. Then someone here suggested the veggie wafers and he loved them. Now he eats everything, food, algae on the glass and the wafers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lawnmower blennies do not eat hair algae...they scrape film algae off of surfaces. I have always found them to eat anything...which may be a problem. Everyone that I have had has eaten everything, like a pig. While they may last a year or more, eventually they waste away, even though their bellies are full. I was told ( I'm not making any claims for its veracity) that they cannot handle a rich diet, with lots of animal based nutrition, and that is what is causing their problems. If so, there is no way to stop them from eating what the other fish are fed. I've given up on them myself. As much as I love them, there's no sense in keeping fish that will die anyway.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
While they may last a year or more, eventually they waste away, even though their bellies are full..

In my research on this fish I have never heard this. I have had my algae blenny for almost two years now and shows no signs of malnutrition. Mine still scrapes rocks and the glass.
I agree that there is little to be gained housing a fish that will not live a healthy life but I would like confirmation.
Has anyone else know this to be the case?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have kept maybe 3 algae blennies in my 15 years of reefkeeping. This has been the fate of every one of them. I have seen the same thing with tangs- both hippo and yellow, (they end up looking like potato chips, but with a full round belly),although for the most part tangs last for many years. It seems to be an issue with largely herbivorous fish. I have never seen this with clowns or angels. I have heard some people claim that this may be due to cyanide collection, but I think every unexplainable malady is blamed on cyanide. Parasites are another thing I have seen referred to. This is not a condition that suddenly appears in fish I've had a long time. Invariably it turns up in fish I've had 15 months or less. Usually less than 4 months.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I cant find any reference to this as you are applying it to algae blennies or tangs. In fact, both are well documented to be long lived fish compared to the 18 month time frame you are mentioning.

Where are you finding this information?

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hey i had that issue with mine also then i started to feed my tank mates , that marineland gel food and then i also use those formula 2 flakes with garlic by ocean nutrition and my lawnmower is one of the most active eaters now , behind my tangs and mystery wrasse , try those flakes out , 8 bucks and your fish will love the garlic!
Let us know how it works out for ya.

1+ on garlic juice

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
They didn't have those flakes. I bought the omega one marine flakes with garlic and algae wafers. He slowly started picking at it, then my sister hand fed with the long tongs when I was at work. I dropped a pinch of flakes as well when I got home. I hope he will continue to eat. Stay tuned....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: