rtague

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hi mr,
can ich harm corals and snails, or does it need to have a fish host?,looks like I lost my solitary clown to the parasite,just wondering if the few corals and snails I have will be effected,thanks.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
sure... add in all the coral you want. just stay away from livestock. and avoid putting that same hand directly into a QT tank after you've been playing in the DT with ich.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Skene, how do you cure ich? how do you cure hair algae? I have aptasia, how do I get rid of it fast? Can you tell me what fish to buy? How do I build my sump? T5 VS LED? ?????????????????????????

skene

Rating - 100%
240   0   0
1. Scratch the itch... always works for me.
2. Comb it.
3. Have rock...? Will break.
4. Pepperidge Farm Goldfish.
5. With construction paper and ice cream sticks.
6. Christmas tree lights.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
no it wont affect them. not to say that if ich is in the tank they cant be carriers.
Generally a 'carrier' means an organism that is infected and can give it to others. Snails and corals are not carriers and do not host ich. But they can 'carry' ich. Ich can be laying on them so if you move them from one tank to another you are moving the ich. But all it would take is to rinse them off to get the ich off.
And ich can be on anything you put into an infested tank including nets, hands etc. And you should rinse them very well in that case or you may be transporting the ich from one place to another.

rtague

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Generally a 'carrier' means an organism that is infected and can give it to others. Snails and corals are not carriers and do not host ich. But they can 'carry' ich. Ich can be laying on them so if you move them from one tank to another you are moving the ich. But all it would take is to rinse them off to get the ich off.
And ich can be on anything you put into an infested tank including nets, hands etc. And you should rinse them very well in that case or you may be transporting the ich from one place to another.
Thanks basiab for the info,safe to add fire shrimp,cleaner shrimp or no.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Yes. Only fish host them.
And even though they say that 6-8 weeks of no fish should mean all the ich has died it is not 100% guaranteed. All it means is that normally the ich can't stay alive that long without a fish to latch on to. But there are always exceptions.

rtague

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Yes. Only fish host them.
And even though they say that 6-8 weeks of no fish should mean all the ich has died it is not 100% guaranteed. All it means is that normally the ich can't stay alive that long without a fish to latch on to. But there are always exceptions.
Thanks,the thought of looking at rocks and snails for 2 months would drive me nuts,lol,I'm going to add a fire red and cleaner shrimp.

skene

Rating - 100%
240   0   0
You will never get rid of ich... it's like herpes. Once it shows it's ugly face... you are stuck with it for life.
Besides all else it's a parasite that's already present in water and on fish. Just needs the right conditions for them to show up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: