Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
i Have CAULERPA PROLIFERA growin in my sump...and i kinda like the look of it . i was thinking of putting some in my DT (decorate a corner ) with it and give it a little natural look

you think is a good idea or that would just cause problem

caulerpa_prolifera.jpg

this pic i took off the internet

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Once it gets a footing in your display it'll grow over everything and begin to look like your sump. You'll need to trim it constantly to keep it from taking over.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I have this growing in the DT. I like it for the same reason: very natural looking.
The tank is run with fish, live rock, and in the future a bit of coral (softies/lps).

It grows well, it has never overgrown the tank when I have been taking care of it properly i.e. checking water quality, making sure folks keep the light on my preferred schedule,etc.

Only during the summers when I have other folks take care of the tank does the algae grow like a weed. They usually run the tank lights WAAAAY longer than they should and over feed.

Also, it takes awhile for the roots to take foothold on the substrate and also to start propagating themselves.
So, you'd have more than enough time to move the runners (root system) if they moved near your coral.
It's not like one day you have a few stalks and 3 days later BAM reef grass all over the tank.
It's not difficult.

Last edited:

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can control it and prevent it from spreading near rock it can look quite nice. If it gets ahold of rock it can easily turn the tank into a huge PITA ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: