kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Soo i know i cant put dry rock into tank immediatly and i dont have a qt.... So i have my rock in a bine withsaltwater from previous water change.... What else should be done

JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it depends on how much dry rock your adding. If you have a lot of live rock in your DT compared to the amount you're adding then I don't think it's too much of an issue as you should already have a good amount of bacteria.

I added about 1-2 lbs of dry rock to about 11-12lbs of live rock and no ill effects yet. I did put the dry rock in salt water for a few days just incase, so I can remove some unwanted stuff from the rock. I'm pretty sure you would need more than a few days to remove everything though.

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i think it depends on how much dry rock your adding. If you have a lot of live rock in your dt compared to the amount you're adding then i don't think it's too much of an issue as you should already have a good amount of bacteria.

I added about 1-2 lbs of dry rock to about 11-12lbs of live rock and no ill effects yet. I did put the dry rock in salt water for a few days just incase, so i can remove some unwanted stuff from the rock. I'm pretty sure you would need more than a few days to remove everything though.
unwanted things like what isnt it dead lol?

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
get rid of all the livestock in your tank now. They are just going to die. Put the new rock in and let the tank cycle. Then start your tank from there without killing any fish or invertebrates.
soooo your saying dont cycle the rock on its own just start over why???? How will they die if i introduce the rock one at a time slowly

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Your tank needs to finish it's cycle. How long has it been running? What are your exact water parameters? How often do you test?

If you want to start right then start right. Get rid of the fish, snails and shrimp and put the new rock in the tank and let it cycle properly for a few weeks to a month and then add the fish when your tank is ready for them.

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
your tank needs to finish it's cycle. How long has it been running? What are your exact water parameters? How often do you test?

If you want to start right then start right. Get rid of the fish, snails and shrimp and put the new rock in the tank and let it cycle properly for a few weeks to a month and then add the fish when your tank is ready for them.
ive had my tank from the begining of september soo my tank has bine cycled for me to have all i have in my tank trut that i knew not to add them till after cycling was done.. I test weekly wateer change every 2 to 3 weeks and my water perimeters are great ph is at 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate have only 4 pieces of live rock soo far this is why i have the dry rock to add on to this 4lbs should i stilll do so

JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
unwanted things like what isnt it dead lol?

Yea, that's what I thought too. I bought some dry rock from BulkReefSupply.com and thought it was ok to just add to my tank, but I emailed them just to make sure.

They said the dry rock should be added to its own tub of saltwater with a heater until ammonia reaches 0. I guess this ensures to remove all die-offs.

I did as they suggested and a day later I had ammonia readings of .8(?) for the dry rocks.

, if you don't plan on lettin it sit in a tub, you should definitely rinse it first just to remove the excess dirt/dust on the dry rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: