molodets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I want to get Copperband Butterfly, OR Humu Picasso Triggerfish OR

Maculosus Angelfish . Its not reef safe. ok.

If I don't have zoas or clams... is it ok now?

I got donut, clove polyps, torch, dendro

Last edited:

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Copperband is kool ,very delicate,I have one took care of all my aptasia,so far don't touch none of my soft coral its hard for them to eat cuz they have small mouth so u have to make sure they eat something if not he ll die is starvation.

coffey18

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooperband probably your best choice. They are hard to keep though. Make sure you see it eat before u buy i got mine to take mysis but took some time i got lucky it did get rid of my aptasia also.

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you ever deside to get a copper band for your aptasia problem get a peppermint shrimp also,I have a red sea max n had aptasia problem for a year+ I put ,lemon juice ,aptasia x,n the more I put the more they came out I got me the fish n the shrimp 2 weeks later gone all gone I had a problem with spaghetti worms all gone too the shrimp died don't know y but copperband still picking on rocks ,I got mines from maxximus aquatics up in mt Vernon for $22 u can't beat that price kool azz fish try hitting up nano aquatic he got decent prices.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hey dude,

Here's my take on "Non Reef Safe Fish." It all depends. You can do a huma trigger, copper band, or the angelfish, but BE PREPARED for him to munch on a few things prior to you weening the fish onto some other food. Then it's just a matter of keeping the fish overfed, but even then there's still risk.

Copperbands are sensitive but if you can get one that eats frozen and feed garlic in there it should make life easier.

In regards to Aiptasia - how bad is it? Peppermints work to an extent. They won't eat it unless they are starving. Chances are you feed your fish and they'll eat the leftover poop unless you get lucky. I know people say Aiptasia X doesn't work, but chances are they used it incorrectly in fear of bombing the tank you have to put A LOT inside the tank to make sure the entire mouth is covered and have to approach it very slowly.

I've used it MANY times over on my tank and other reefers' tanks and it has succeeded 100% every single time. If you would like to borrow some, let me know before you go spending a fortune. I am assuming you don't have too many.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Cooperband probably your best choice. They are hard to keep though. Make sure you see it eat before u buy i got mine to take mysis but took some time i got lucky it did get rid of my aptasia also.

It is not enough to see it eat at the LFS.:( You also need to ask what they (lfs) is feeding the fish. I made the mistake of buying one that ate at the lfs when fed in front of me. I didn't ask what they fed it when I purchased it. After trying a multitude of foods with no success I went back, and asked what indeed did they feed it. The response was "life brine shrimp".

Freespool

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
every fish is differnt. i have a copper band and he eats like a pig. every thing i feed he eats. the fish did nip at my feather duster so i put the feather duster in another tank. but i have lps and soft corals and he doest bother them at all.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
They usually always feed live brine shrimp. Too bad many of them don't realize there's little to no nutritional value in those.

If you end up getting a fish not eating and you are willing to go through A LOT of effort. You can do the following. Buy a batch of live brine shrimp and mix it in with Arctipods, Cyclopeeze, LivePods, Frozen Mysis, or even garlic. It's a good way to trick the fish and get a specific food sense in their mouth.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: