molodets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello everyone.
I made a post about Aiptasia recently and ppl gave me advice to get peppermint shrimp. And I got it!

Now the LFS guy told me that peppermint shrimp eats hammer corals, donut corals anything soft....

IS that true?!?!
I am confused...
pepper.jpg

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i have 35 peppermint shrimp in my tank, i have alot of LPS and have never had a problem.. they do go after any missed food during feeding, they are always hovering in the caves.. but most importantly i have NO aptasia.. i do believe that there are 2 different types of peppermints one from the florida keys and then somewhere else... the ones from the caribean(keys) are the aptasia eaters and the others for somereason wont touch them.. (so ive been told, i dont know if it is true tho)

the LFS guy may be confusing the peps with camel backs, they eat coral.. theyre easily noticably different(if you know to look).. camelbacks have 2 humps on their back and the peps are smooth

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Actually that's not true guys..peppermints definitely CAN eat soft tissue corals. Acans,donuts,scolys,wellsos are possibly on the menu. It depends on the individual animal and how much they are fed from my experience. There is also 2 diff kinds of peps. Just keep an eye on your stuff and if they become a problem plan on taking all your rocks out lol. Definitely feed the tank heavy before you feed corals. The way I see it is if they don't get the taste of something then they'll never want to eat it. Kind of like if you were starving on a mountain and had to eat a person and all of a sudden found out it was better than angus steak you might start eating all your friends LOL

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I got a peppermint for the same reason as you. All was well and good for a while. Then I introduced a feather duster. (clearly a stupid mistake on my part) the pep destroyed it. After which it must have decided it liked attacking things as it began picking apart my mushrooms. I know they supposedly help pick off dead parts of corals but this didn't appear to be what was happening. Long story short I got rid of my peppermint shrimp. Great for removing aiptasia but as far as I'm concerned it's like adding the cat to get rid of the mouse and the dog to get rid of the cat and the lion to get rid of the dog. Im staying away from peppermints as they seem like more of a hassle than the aiptasia itself. Granted this depends on the other life in your tank.

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I got a peppermint for the same reason as you. All was well and good for a while. Then I introduced a feather duster. (clearly a stupid mistake on my part) the pep destroyed it. After which it must have decided it liked attacking things as it began picking apart my mushrooms. I know they supposedly help pick off dead parts of corals but this didn't appear to be what was happening. Long story short I got rid of my peppermint shrimp. Great for removing aiptasia but as far as I'm concerned it's like adding the cat to get rid of the mouse and the dog to get rid of the cat and the lion to get rid of the dog. Im staying away from peppermints as they seem like more of a hassle than the aiptasia itself. Granted this depends on the other life in your tank.
had feather dusters and shrooms in tank never had a problem. i guess some people get lucky with renegade peps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: