Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I filled and started my tank on Saturday and with some advice from a respected individual I threw a raw shrimp in as well. With that in mind, I have a few questions.

First off, here is a small digest of where the numbers are:

1/14
Temp: 79
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25
Nitrate: 0.00
Nitrite: 0.00
Salinity: 1.024

1/15
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: .5
Nitrate: 5.0
Nitrite: .25

1/16
Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrate: 10.0
Nitrite: .5

Now, from my past experience with fresh water, it seems things are going as planned. Am I correct?

One of the questions I have though is, should the water be crystal clear or have a bit of a haze? I ask, because my water has had a bit of a haze since about the second day. When I filled the tank, I covered my sand and filled the water into a bowl to prevent any cloudiness from the sand. Thanks Russ for that amazing advice!

Second question, what can I expect in the coming weeks?

As a newbie to saltwater, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Dustin

-------------------------
34G Solana - Started cycle on 1/14/12
Stock skimmer (changing in the near future)
No light yet (still on the fence as to which one to buy)
ATO (any recommendations?)

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
What rocks are you using? Dry or Live rock? What test kits? I'm very surprised your showing Nitrites and Nitrates only 2 days after setup. Leads me to think you are using live rock from another tank. If not and your using dry rock there is really no way you could have those readings already... Your PH will fluctuate but is on the low end.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm using dry rocks, my test kit is the API saltwater master kit. Every time I test, I run the test twice and I continue to get the same results, so I'm not really sure what to say in regards to the results. I realize the pH is low, but I figured I'd give it some time and see what happens.

When I tested this morning my results were as follows.

1/17/2012
Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrate: 10.0
Nitrite: .5

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Regarding your questions, yes a slight haze can be normal initially, it should subside. I wouldnt worry about it until after the cycle completes, carbon can be run to clarify the water if need be. Expect to see a brown diatom bloom to happen on sand and other surfaces, it shouldn't last long though.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey Dustin,
I agree with the early readings of nitrite and nitrate. That's very quick. :scratchch
Remember, we discussed using the API tests during the cycle only. Since you'll be doing so many tests, and you don't have any livestock in the tank, the inexpensive API tests are ok. I wouldn't use them after the cycle though. I don't find them to be as accurate as Salifert or Elos.

So the plastic bag and empty bowl on the sand bed worked for filling without a sandstorm? Amazing little trick isn't it ;) I can't tell you how many people I've offered that advice to, and they elect to do their own thing and wind up with a sandstorm that lasts for a week or longer!! lol Oh well.

As for the bit of cloudiness....you should expect that. Remember, you're creating a biological environment where none existed previously. The bacteria growing on the shrimp, and the subsequent bacteria growing in the tank to neutralize the ammonia and nitrites will cause the bit of cloudiness you see. Totally normal. It'll subside as the cycle comes to an end.

HTH
Russ

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
how about a tank pic :)

its gonna be like that for a little bit then ammonia is going to drop then nitrites will be a little higher and then nitrites will drop to 0 and all you should be left with it nitrates. which you at this time should do a small partial water change. good luck ;)

and if russ took the time to go over things with you, you should be thankful he knows his stuff... they dont call him the master for no reason :biggrin:

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here is a pic, it could be a lot better, but since I don't have a light for the tank yet its a bit tough. Gives you the basic idea though.

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 122

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: