Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello,
I have a Deep Blue 120 gal RR with dual overflows. I believe the drains are 1-1/2" and the returns are 1". How do I know what size return pump will be sufficient?
i was thinking something along the lines of 1100 gph? just guessing

thank you for your assisstance.

reefjunkie09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with master swimmer. But you def have to find out what size drains you have. I believe a 1 inch can drain 600 gph. So dual 1 inch can drain 1200 gph max I'm almost sure. I think people usually shoot for 10 times turnover. Hope this helps

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'd be shocked to find that you've got 1.5" & 1" overflow/return lines. The holes are probably that size, but that would accommodate a 1" overflow and a 3/4" return. ;)

Russ

If i'm not mistaking the bulkheads that come with that tank are 1", but then they have a barb fitting that is 3/4" inner diameter. I might be wrong, maybe Russ has one laying around to confirm.
yes (my mistake)that's it the the specs read 1" bulkhead fitting [slip/barb] and 3/4 bulkhead fitting [slip/barb] the hole dia is 1-1/2 and 1-3/4.
also I'm nervous about using the barb fitting and was thinking of changing to a threaded (wouldn't want a flood)

And also thank you every one for your input

Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I would change out those bulkheads, imo they are not good quality. I have help set up a few tanks, and if you over tighten them they strip easily.
A 1" bulkhead will drain 600 gph, without any restrictions, with personal experience I can tell you that 1200 gph is very loud. I would go with a pump rated for 3-5 times your dt.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would change out those bulkheads, imo they are not good quality. I have help set up a few tanks, and if you over tighten them they strip easily.
A 1" bulkhead will drain 600 gph, without any restrictions, with personal experience I can tell you that 1200 gph is very loud. I would go with a pump rated for 3-5 times your dt.

+1 As always, sound advice.

Russ

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Very Loud you say, any suggestions on how to deal with that? I saw this on reef central and was planning on using it.

The Hofer Gurgle Blaster[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/index.html
[/FONT]

What do you think? legitimate?

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
It is a good product, but once again it all depends on how much water is going down the 1" opening of the bulkhead, the only way to be able to run say 1200 gph, and have it nearly quite is to go with a 2" bulkhead, now don't go crazy and try this , as that tank has a tempered bottom. the other option is to have an external over flow box with 2 1" drains, when you do this you actually have 4 1" drains handling 1200 gph, so in reality each one is draining 300 gph. that brings me back to 3-5x turnover for 2 1" drains, for a quite system. I don't think you bought a tank with internal over flows, and then to add external one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: