NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Recently considered a anemone.
I like the rbta, or gbta.

Now I know my tank is stocked with coral. And I know they move. I would be prepared to lose some corals.

Not sure if I still want to do it.
But even taking the risk of getting clowns to host it, which may not even happen.

I don't even have clowns yet.

But,
When you had one, did you regret getting it?

Thanx
-Joe

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I got one in a trade a while ago. It was a sebae( I think) and being a noob at the time I put it in my 75 under pc lighting. I regretted it for a year until I upgraded my lighting to T5s. It did great after that and never moved until I broke the tank down. I'm pretty sure mgb75 still has it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I love them, so I started a tank just for them so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but that is far from the best solution for most folks.

I do have another anemone in my 120 and while it has moved twice (over 4 years or so), I hate that it has decided to sit dead center on a baserock and while I'd love to reaquascape that tank, he's happy and so is my clown...I can live with that :)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
My first BTA (common green), was fed once a week with meat and it grew and grew, starting form a 2" diameter to finally at 10" diameter. Finally one day I decided it was just a bit too big and stopped feeding it. After about a month, it started to migrate and that was it. I moved it into the sump where it was constantly moving and one day, it went into the return pump. Worst mistake of the tanks life, since in the week that followed, all the corals starting dying out.

Gave in and picked up a rose BTA (also 2" diameter). I placed it in a relatively open corner of the tank, let it move around for a week before it settled in and NEVER fed it directly. This guy has doubled in size but never moved. (the GBTA grew to 10" in a few months, whereas the RBTA is over a year old).

So the Lesson is, don't let the BTA get a taste and become depended on feedings. Keep it autotrophic as they say and depended on light. Then it has no reason to move.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
dont do it, best place for them is a anemone only tank. even if it get a 600 gallon reef tank i would not put a single anemone in it. i would have a separate tank just for them

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
joe go for both even if u loose a few coral u will still like an anenome with some clowns hosting it i feel every reef tanks should have them in it i had luck with few of them in my old 65g and plan on putting a few in the 150 when its ready for that

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It's looking like I won't get one. If I nuked my tank I'd be devastated.

And:
I already have so many corals and pretty much am stocked. I'd hate to lose any of it. Maybe if it was empty I'd have a go at it.

But eh. Maybe my future clowns will host something else.

Who knows.
Thanx everyone for your input.

Thanx
-Joe

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yea you might get lucky. My gbta has recovered and is being hosted by two clown fish and a anemone crab. The clowns also host the tube worm feather duster lol and sometimes the frogspawn.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Unfortunately, there are no small nems that will be hosted by a clown. However they may probably end up hosting something in the tank provided that they like what they see. But there are no guarantees on it.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I will always have a BTA and clown combo.
1) its the single most recognizeable thing in my tank, always....and people always ask/talk about it.
2) its very interesting to observe the symbiotic relationship.
3) every female i have dated says "oh look, Nemo!" when thy first see the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: