KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to MR :)

Yes, you can use a canister filter for a FOWLR.

Do keep on top of keeping it clean and an important note about canister filters...if you ever lose power and it is off for 45 minutes or more you MUST entirely dump the contents of the filter BEFORE you turn it back on!!
The issue is that all of the bacteria in a closed container (like a canister filter) will die off rapidly with no oxygen (flow) and you can wipe out a tank by allowing all of that dead bacteria into your tank.

Just curious..how small a space do you have under your stand? Even a small sump might fit in there where you can hide your equipment.

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Just any compartment that has dirty debris on it. When I had my Fluval way back, I just ran GFO, carbon and replaced it every 3 months and in between I would just rinse them off. I also cleaned the sponges weekly and replaced them every month......

Until I realized that the canister is doing more harm than good so I just went with the Skimz E series. Best choice I've made for my tank, but then again I'm running reef.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi~~ Welcome to the MR family! I think you'll like it here.:)

Yes, you can use canister filters, or hang on back filters (HOB), with caution.;)
Regardless of what you use in a canister filter(ceramic cylinders or lr & sponges, and for what either corals or fish you need to clean them out every other week alternate to your water schedule.
If you don't you will just have a nitrate factory leaching nitrates back into your tank. Yes fish can deal with nitrates but there is a limit to the levels, for instance fish can handle 40ppms if raised in it, but would much prefer 0 ppm.;) Corals if I recall correctly is 20 ppm, but again do way better at 0 ppms.

What size tank do you have anyway?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: