Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just recently bought a Aqua C Remora w/ MJ 1200 to power it. After setting it up, the MJ was giving off a extremely loud rattling as if the pump was hitting against the glass or the impeller shaft was bent and not spinning correctly.

I assured that it wasnt and proceeded to investigate the cause of the noise.

In the mean time I put a Accela 1000 on the skimmer and there is hardly any noise what so ever and the skimmer is producing foam and some light yellow skimate after just two days of operation.

Some forums have mentioned that some of the MJ1200 impellers are loose fitting and need to be "tightened" by using a some crazy glue to prevent them from jumping around while spinning, but Im a little unsure where to glue down the impeller.

Has anyone experienced this and possibly provide some insight?

Thanks

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
sometimes they rattle on start up...especially with the maxi mod....never heard of super glue, but I use a small piece air line tubing on the shaft between the rubber end and the blades which forces the magnet part to stay tighter in the unit....no noise.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Dont glue it down , i had the same issue two days ago with e same mj1200 it sounded like a vibrating rattle right?? As if it was vibrating against the glass im sure , i just took it all apart from the bottom cone and took itt all apart and removed the bottom strainer and the rattle went away, i hope this works .

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Maxi-Jet 1200

Had the same issue and returned pump only to find the replacment doing the same thing,sounds like a design flaw. When I buy a product I expect it to work without having to alter the unit, will be returning this one also. Its their responsibility to provide us with a flawless product.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with my MJ1200 - Aqua C Remora. I've tried placing it different depths in the tank, using different attachments, and even tried an MJ900. My findings were that the MJ900 produced a little less noise than the 1200, but still produced more vibration/noise than i would have expected, and Remora didn't skim that well with it. I ended up placing the 1200 near the bottom quarter of my tank, and using the single suction cup attachment (not actually stuck to the glass, but resting against it creating a barrier). When i used the 3 suction adapter, the noise was the worst. So right now, I am living with a noisy pump. Would you recommend the Accella 1000 as a replacement? Or something else?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The MJ was hanging off the end of the intake tube on the Remora, not rubbing or hitting anything...but sounded like it was against the glass.

The Accela 1000 was the stock pump that came with my JBJ 28...I upgraded the (2) stock pumps to MJ1200's over a year ago and never hear them at all. The Accela, which is 266 gph compared to the MJ1200 295 gph, works pretty good on the Remora but you can visibly see the gph difference.

The other recommended pump was the Rio 800 which puts out about 235 gph....but I think it may be too under powered for the Remora.

I would recommend the Accela but I used it just cause I had it laying around and decided to try it. Im sure any other pump with the same gph output will do the same job.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
MJ1200 by Marineland are not making them like they used too. Just look at the power cord from old one to new one. New one is thin and flat where the old one thick and round. Magnet must be seated right or rattle noise you will get. Not the same anymore.....

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
x2..they changed the design of the MJ1200s because many including myself were using the maxi mods(sureflow1600) which isn't their product so they introduced the MJ1200 Pro version ...now the sureflow doesn't fit unless a modification is made.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with Aqua C, and Maxi-Jet has indeed changed the design of their pumps very recently. They recommended the super-glue fix as well. Basically, if you have the purple impeller that is loose from the magnet, you have the newer-crappy design. This design creates back pressure and causes vibration/noise. They are now selling kits with RIO800 (Nano), or Cobalt MJ900/1200 which is the original Maxi-Jet design. I am going to try the super-glue fix, since i bought my setup off of someone, and can't get my money back. From what I understand, i just need to glue the base of the purple impeller to the white plastic piece (closer to the magnet). I'll let you know how i make out...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: