Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
So I bought this rock full of Xenias from another fellow reefer to see how they do in my tank and as courtesy he gave another small rock for free

Ok my problem is that i placed the big rock on my display tank and the small rock on my refugium and the big rock just don't pulse, mind you the small one is down in my refugium pulsing like its never been happier
0_o

Isn't that odd ? Why can it be??
I have 2 32watt cfl bulbs and up in my DT is a 6 bulb t5 fixture so i dont know what's going on!

Complicated corals!

DT
45cb1d9f-e4f1-4ed3.jpg

Refugium
45cb1d9f-e531-aab8.jpg

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
alot of things could affect it, flow, light acclimation and etc that is different in the dt and fuge. also xenia is known to hit or miss

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
From the color of the pics it looks like your display tank is a deep blue color with a higher kelvin rating. Your sump however with the cfl looks yellower and has a lower kelvin rating. I keep my Xenia with the 10,000 K look and they pump like crazy. Xenia has a tendency to pump faster depending on the temperature of the water as well as water movement. What's the temp in your tank?

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i apologize, i should have been more specific. i meant to say lighting acclimation in terms of the amount light the corals are receiving. Since the lighting in the previous tank is different from your own lighting, the coral might not have adjusted to the changes yet. and because the fuge light is somewhat weaker, the xenia wouldve easily adapted to it easier. hope that makes sense?

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
From the color of the pics it looks like your display tank is a deep blue color with a higher kelvin rating. Your sump however with the cfl looks yellower and has a lower kelvin rating. I keep my Xenia with the 10,000 K look and they pump like crazy. Xenia has a tendency to pump faster depending on the temperature of the water as well as water movement. What's the temp in your tank?

Yes they're under dif. Lighting
DT bulb combination is 3 blue+. 2 aqua special and 1 purple plus
And for the fuge I always buy the warm white bulbs

The temp stays in the 77-79

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Agree that it's flow. You probably have much less flow in the fuge. While nobody seems to know why they pulse, if it's to move water, they would naturally need to do it less in an area where there is a lot of water flow.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Yes they're under dif. Lighting
DT bulb combination is 3 blue+. 2 aqua special and 1 purple plus
And for the fuge I always buy the warm white bulbs

The temp stays in the 77-79

You can move it up higher in the display tank, but once Xenia settles, it'll manage to do it on its own and move towards more light. I'm pretty sure the one's in your fuge will grow faster given the type of light your using. The temp is fine. In the summer I keep the tanks warmer above 80 degrees to get the corals to grow faster and the Xenia pumps faster as a result of the higher temperature. Good luck!

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
i apologize, i should have been more specific. i meant to say lighting acclimation in terms of the amount light the corals are receiving. Since the lighting in the previous tank is different from your own lighting, the coral might not have adjusted to the changes yet. and because the fuge light is somewhat weaker, the xenia wouldve easily adapted to it easier. hope that makes sense?

I basically acclimated them and just place them on the sand
The guy I bought them from had a 6 blub fixture aswell but his tank is way shallower than mines
Mine is 24" high

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Agree that it's flow. You probably have much less flow in the fuge. While nobody seems to know why they pulse, if it's to move water, they would naturally need to do it less in an area where there is a lot of water flow.

I do have less flow in the fuge
I'll see if I find another spot with less flow for them
That will be kind of hard since I have a lot of flow in the DT and the areas that have little flow are shaded ones so they won't receive sufficient lighting

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
By looking at the pic of the one in your DT I am pretty certain that it is getting to much flow. Do move it to an area in your tank where it doesn't get as much flow, and see what happens.;)

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
You can move it up higher in the display tank, but once Xenia settles, it'll manage to do it on its own and move towards more light. I'm pretty sure the one's in your fuge will grow faster given the type of light your using. The temp is fine. In the summer I keep the tanks warmer above 80 degrees to get the corals to grow faster and the Xenia pumps faster as a result of the higher temperature. Good luck!

I'll move it up and see what happens
Oh yea? I thought warmer water was not good for corals I try my hardest too keep my temp lower than 80

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I'll move it up and see what happens
Oh yea? I thought warmer water was not good for corals I try my hardest too keep my temp lower than 80

Do what works for you... It saves me on the chiller/air conditioner bill, but you got to watch out for algae growth because of the warmer temperature.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: