kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have tiny airbubbles on my liverock. Is this good or bad?? Water perimeters are straight salinity is straight at 1.026. And its bine 2 days already and more seem to appear by the day

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Mostly likely you are beginning to get algae on your rocks - that you don't necessarily even see yet. It is expelling carbon dioxide- those are what the bubbles are.

I don't recall what equipment you are using on your tank...can you refresh us please? Are you using anything to combat phosphates and are you using ro or ro/di water?

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey

Mostly likely you are beginning to get algae on your rocks - that you don't necessarily even see yet. It is expelling carbon dioxide- those are what the bubbles are.

I don't recall what equipment you are using on your tank...can you refresh us please? Are you using anything to combat phosphates and are you using ro or ro/di water?

Really all I have is a filter.. and no I'm using tap water for now I leave it out with a heater for 24 hrs and I'm working on building my sump now as well. May this be the cause?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Tap water is adding phosphates to your tank and phosphates make your tank a healthy environment for growing algae :(

No, it has nothing to do with the heater.

Why is the heater out of the tank?? A reef tank should never be allowed to cool to room temperature! What is the temp in the tank now?
Do you have fish/inverts in there? ...a really poor idea :(

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey

Tap water is adding phosphates to your tank and phosphates make your tank a healthy environment for growing algae :(

No, it has nothing to do with the heater.

Why is the heater out of the tank?? A reef tank should never be allowed to cool to room temperature! What is the temp in the tank now?
Do you have fish/inverts in there? ...a really poor idea :(
Umm I never said its the heater from my tank lol that I know I have a separate one so that when I do add water its about the same temp as the water in my tank.. my temperature is at 81 now. Soo basically i should be using rodi instead of tap?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Umm I never said its the heater from my tank lol that I know I have a separate one so that when I do add water its about the same temp as the water in my tank.. my temperature is at 81 now. Soo basically i should be using rodi instead of tap?

lol, that sentence didn't go down smoothly for me. I understand now :) Good that you are warming the water to tank temp before adding it.

You most definitely want to be using rodi water. You might want to be adding something like Chemipure Elite into your filter to start absorbing the phosphates that are currently in your tank (it's in a little media bag that you can put in your filter).

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey

lol, that sentence didn't go down smoothly for me. I understand now :) Good that you are warming the water to tank temp before adding it.

You most definitely want to be using rodi water. You might want to be adding something like Chemipure Elite into your filter to start absorbing the phosphates that are currently in your tank (it's in a little media bag that you can put in your filter).
Thanks :)..... and I have that as well in my filter along with the bio balls and sponge I think is is lol... is it black?? And thanks for your time

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks :)..... and I have that as well in my filter along with the bio balls and sponge I think is is lol... is it black?? And thanks for your time

You should change it since you are starting to develop alage, it isn't taking enough phosphates out of your water, time for a new bag.

Sponge & bioballs..both poor ideas for a reef tank. (but don't go pulling them out all at once as they have a lot of your bacteria in them!)

Once you get the sump added, are you considering getting a skimmer for the tank and getting rid of the filter? Please DO ask here for advice on how to make that switch when the time comes :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
btw - there is a difference between regular Chemipure and Chemipure Elite - you want the one with the "Elite" in it's name as it helps more with phosphates that the regular Chemipure.

Epayero

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   1
Noo I've had the tank for about 6months now :/.. and when I did cycle I had these but not as much. And I have 2 clowns, a domino damsel (which I'm dying to get out my tank) a turbo snail, a peppermint shrimp, & a duncan coral for now untill I build my sump

Try dropping that temperature. 81 is kind of hot. Try staying Btwn 76-79

And the micro bubbles might be from ur filter.

And most definitely get that damsel out. I have some Kenya trees if u like some Kenya trees I can give u some to add to ur future reef.

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey

You should change it since you are starting to develop alage, it isn't taking enough phosphates out of your water, time for a new bag.

Sponge & bioballs..both poor ideas for a reef tank. (but don't go pulling them out all at once as they have a lot of your bacteria in them!)

Once you get the sump added, are you considering getting a skimmer for the tank and getting rid of the filter? Please DO ask here for advice on how to make that switch when the time comes :)
Hey thanks again.. I changed it last night and the bubbles are gone ;)... and great idea a skimmer is a great idea ill get one as well and when the time comes ill be sure to ask on this lovely forum I love it! :) :)

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey

Try dropping that temperature. 81 is kind of hot. Try staying Btwn 76-79

And the micro bubbles might be from ur filter.

And most definitely get that damsel out. I have some Kenya trees if u like some Kenya trees I can give u some to add to ur future reef.
Hey epayero thanks that'll be cool.

Epayero

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   1
Hey epayero thanks that'll be cool.

44c790f4-b854-837e.jpg

No prob :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: