Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I know that certain test kits have a reputation of being more accurate than others, but Im wondering if anyone has ever compared the results from two different brands to see how different the results are.

I've been using RedSea kits for all my testing, and anyone that has used them knows how difficult it can be to distinguish between some of the colors on the cards. So I started replacing them with Salifert Kits...but at $30-$40 a kit, it can get a little pricey. My latest kit was a TetraTest KH kit for about $12.

Just out of curiousity, I compared the results of the TetraTest KH Kit vs. the RedSea KH test and came out with virtually the same result.

So my question is whether anyone has done this comparison with a higher end kit vs. a more economical kit?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't trust the New Red Sea test kits. I brought Hanna phoshate test and compared both and got Red Sea reading 0.08 all time even with new batch and main tank. No way a freshly made salt water mix will be 0.08. So Hanna reading in main tank 0.03 and fresh mix 0.02. All I can say it pays to spend the little extra or you will pay in the long run. I kept running GFO in main tank thinking phoshate to high and still never went down. I knew something was wrong. I could of kill all my SPS by running and running GFO and got wrong readings.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Regarding liquid Phosphate testing kits, they are known to be unreliable. For the most accurate results you need to use a lab grade Hanna meter - and even those (at a +$150 price tag) will tell you their accuracy is +/-0.04

I have seen no issue with API test kits for reading of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate or pH readng being accurate.
I cannot speak for the other parameters, although I'm sure I have assorted 'master test kits' here that I have won at various functions, the time needed to sit and run that many tests (really should run 2 of each test and average the results) escapes me..as does the desire. Maybe one day.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Kathy you should do it!
Post pictures step by step of what you did. Results of each test... this may be beneficial information one day for the people that love testing.

meloncoral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Red Sea Kits I think the Calcium,ALk,Mag kits are accurate and are easily avail.
The Salifert are hard to find/use and expensive. I have never used Hanna kits?
I don't understand the problem with colors hard to read,but I have never used their phos kits? I don't waste time with those kits from any manufacturer ....simple solution when u have a reeftank add phosphate remover no matter what your test kit says
I think fjpod has a good point also API makes great test kits I trust all of their basic kits.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What I mean by the colors being hard to read is that some of the kits have a range of the same color...perfect example is the pH RedSea kit. 8.0, 8.2, 8.4 are all purple and depending on what kind of light your in they all appear the same. Same is true for the kH RedSea kit. Depending on the shade of blue your kH can be anywhere from 8-12...but very hard to determine.

Kits where the color change of the test is very difinitive...such as from yellow to blue make it much more accurate.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alot has to what you have in your tank. Is it fish only or reef or both. I like test No4 with Hanna, Ph salifert, Alk,Cal. Red Sea... Once in a while test No3 and Mg with red sea. When I run out of Red Sea will not use them no more.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Nope, I have the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro (Alk/Ca/Mg) and looking at the results card right now. Calcium and Mag are red to blue, and Alk is Blue to Red. Watch all the videos on their Youtube channel; it's a lot more than what other test kit companies are willing to do for their customers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: