Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,

Thanks in advance for reading my post.

Unfortunately it appears that I have a dying Duncan Coral.

I have 6 polyp Duncan. I came home a few nights back to find three of these polyps on one side covered in what looks like a pink slime. I pink up the coral - shook it and it all came off.

Yesterday I checked my water parameters and learned that my calcium was a bit low (just under 400) and my alkalinity was pretty low. All other parameters (PH, Nitrate, Gravity, Magnesium etc) were fine.

I conducted a water change of 5 gallons (just a weekly water change for my 55 gallon) and then I dosed in some extra alkalinity and calcium buffer with some coral foods.

This morning I saw the pink slime coming back. I left it alone. Came home this evening and saw the slime starting to bubble. I took the attached photo. Just a few minutes ago I shook Duncan and the green part of one of the polyps came out leaving an empty white cavity!!!

Uh oh....

The other polpys (the one not afflicted have been acting fine). But I'm freaking a little.

I have a four lamp 50 watt 10,000 actinic light set (only a month old).

I've had Duncan since the first week of January. He was happy until a few days ago.

After adding Duncan I've added a small colony of Zoa's and some small SPS mushroom corals.

Just two weeks ago I added a green bubble pink foot anemone (RBTA).

Now... the RBTA was near Duncan - but to my knowledge they never touched.

I've heard anemone's can kill corals... is this just want happened here? What's interesting is that after I saw the slime a few nights ago I moved Duncan up from the sand bed away from the RBTA (thinking the RBTA crawled over it). But when the slime came back... I began to dismiss the RBTA theory.

I turn it back to you guys... whats happening to Duncan?

Also... my clowns wont host the RBTA... Why!!!!!

My tank has a yellow tang, two clowns, two fire shrimp, one engineer goby and for corals a long tentecal plate coral, kenya treeks, SPS mushrooms, and zoa's. One RBTA.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 1,666
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have red slime on your coral. I had it on my birdsnest, it makes the coral turn completly white and slowly kills it. It is on every polyp right if not frag that piece off, or move the hole coral to a different spot of the tank or a seperate tank, because what I here is that it can spread onto other coral. Any questions, dont be hesitant to ask.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep sounds like brown jelly disease. I read online that I can dip it in freshwater and lightly scrub it to remove the brown jelly. Seems like its a goner though from what I read.

I suppose I could cut my losses and frag it / toss the rest. However from what I read it seems like the polyp itself has to become damaged (either from a crab, fall, sting , etc) for it to be infected.

Thoughts on saving whats left of duncan?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: