thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Big question. I am doing a 210 gal reef tank. It is an Aqueon duel center offset overflow drilled in the bottom. Tank measures 72X24X29 deep. My sump is a custom build Bashsea measures 36X14X16 the sump is not drilled to run an exterior pump. Will 1 mag drive 18 be enough to run this system and just split it for the return?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
will the sump be directly underneath the display tank, or will you plumb from your basement to display tank like some do? bunch of variables to consider and the distance from sump to tank is just one of them, each elbow also creates "head".
Also, if your going to run reactors off of the main pump you have to calculate that into the equation. im no expert, but was recently in similar situation with a build and these were the things i had to consider
will you have enough room in sump for a mag 18? what else will you keep in sump?

Last edited:

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
ah good point ok the sump will sit under the DT i will be running a co2 reactor not connected to this and a gfo again not connected to this. the stand is 30 inches high and the distance to the top of the tank from the bottom of the stand where the sup sits is 54 and 1/2 inches

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
so that pump pushes 1325gph/max 16' of head

i would think you would be fine with that pump. some suggest 10x flow, others suggest 5x flow i guess that becomes a personal preference like most other things in the hobby. i also remember a thread recently about some people swapping the metal screws in the mag pumps for plastic style help with corrossion issues. will you be using any powerheads for additional flow inside tank?

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
yes to the power heads running two moceans with wave maker not sure what the power is as the guy has customized this package and said it will be enough to get started with. down the line I will add two more powerheads with battery backup

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
he is putting together an led system for me as well but will not tell me more than that as it is not done yet. so i am intrigued. The name of the company is Reefwerks guy's name is Jonathan Hirsch. He has been very solid with communications and will same time e-mail with me day and night even on a sunday as late as 10 PM Truly the best costumer service i have seen. i thought about the heat issue I am not running a chiller but with the LED lights I should still be ok. My heaters will be happy

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have decided to stick with the mag drive 18 because I will be using 2 Mocean powerheads on the returns. If i need to I will alter it at a later date. My build is just a tank and sump so far. I am waiting on more equipment. I have Jonathan at Refwerks doing the build. He started a thread on facebook so as i start getting things going you can watch the progression. I will be custom building the stand myself so I will post those pics on Reefwerks facebook page as well.

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
quick question while I have your attention. I am making my own RO/DI water and storing it in 55 gal drums food grade. I would like to connect to drums with bulkheads and hose so i can run one auto top off. will the bulkheads work even though the drums are slightly rounded? In other words there is not flat spot on the drums for the bulkheads to sit. Can i use a crap load of silicone and if so what kind is safe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: