Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks..

My alk is 6 (elos), ca 360.{salifert}

Whats ideal.....dosing either manual or automated brs ca,alk

Or

Get a ca reactor like geo....

Also pls advice if the brs dosing can be done in my sump when during feeding, lights on....my ph is in low side.

Which method is least daily/weekly maintenance.....dousing 2 parts or ca reactor?

Thanks guys

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
What size tank do you have ? And what type of coral do you keep? Heavily stocked large and extreme high demand tank a calcium reactor would be a good investment. Or than that a dosing pump would be great for all other applications. I just started using two BRS dosing pumps and now my ph is always above 8 because I dose the alkalinity portion over night. I was using a calcium reactor previously and the dosing pumps seem easier for me and my lifestyle, because I spend a lot of time away from my tank

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What size tank do you have ? And what type of coral do you keep? Heavily stocked large and extreme high demand tank a calcium reactor would be a good investment. Or than that a dosing pump would be great for all other applications. I just started using two BRS dosing pumps and now my ph is always above 8 because I dose the alkalinity portion over night. I was using a calcium reactor previously and the dosing pumps seem easier for me and my lifestyle, because I spend a lot of time away from my tank

Mine is 75 mix reef, fuge sump....85g volume.....

do u use their peristalic pump? It can only pump one liquid kind right....how do u dose 2,3 liquids.?

I'm amazed that brs 2 part is easier than ca reactor....with respect to maintenance.....

Can u explain ur dosing setup, timers etc....thanks

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I have two BRS dosers controlled with my Neptune apex.one pump doses my alkalinity a few minutes every hour at night and during the day the other pump doses calcium. I also have a mixed reef and calcium and alkalinity consumption is not super high at the moment. That is where the problem was for me while running the calcium reactor. Since I was running the effluent at a slower rate I always found my self having to make adjustments to flow rate because over time it would shift from what I originally set.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Great advice from Mr. Vernon ;)

On a tank your size I'd probably stick to dosing as opposed to the reactor, at least until you determined that the 2 part was costing more both in time and $ than a reactor would cost.

Russ

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With the numbers u have, they are pretty even, you could prob get away with topping off with kalkwasser

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Great advice guys, thanks.

What sucks up more ca,alk.....stony corals that grow white tips at a fast rate like birds nest.....or lps that become big colonies like frog spawns.

I do have a big piece of hydnapora that someone gave free...its below, not growing fast but alive with hairy polyps flowing. Will this suck up ca,alk too?

I guess softies,palys r ok right?

I'm asking since I want to watch out which ones to keep trimming.

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With the numbers u have, they are pretty even, you could prob get away with topping off with kalkwasser

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hi mbg!

I've been dosing kent tech cb part a&b for a month now...
Like 15-20ml daily.

Today I tested with api....dkh is 7, ca is 460.
I am planning on start adding kalk to ro topoff tomorrow.

Which of the kent marine tech cb should I reduce ....since ca is fine, but alk can reach 8dkh....

I think I should reduce or stop the tech cb partb ....right?

Pls advice! Thanks:D

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: