TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I bought a 55g tank, that's what the seller told me. I did some research and found out that it's actually only 45g (48"x12"x18"). This is my first saltwater aquarium. I always had a fresh water tank. I only had this tank for over a month.

I am doing an upgrade to a 75g tank (48"x18"20"). I only have the tank. I am not looking to break my wallet.

Where can I buy a sturdy tank stand to accomodate the weight and size/dimension of my tank?

What size sump do I need? Where can I purchase a decent one? Again, I'm not looking to spend a load of cash.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You are correct the 55g would not fit. The 20G is fine for a sump.

2 suggestions to find a stand ..
Put a thread up in our Want To Buy Forum for a 75G stand - someone might have one laying around
or
Go to Petland Discounts - their pricing is the most reasonable due to the bulk buying they do- if you are buying new. You could either get wood or a metal stand and put panels of light weight wood as an outer covering. People attach it using velcro.

TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Posted in WTB thread. I found and am sure that I can find plenty of info about DIY tank stand but I dont have the tools nor the time to do it. Being new to the saltwater aquarium doesnt help with the sump too.

I'll check out Petland Discounts. I just dont want to spend too much $ right now because I know I'll upgrade a yr or two from now :p

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Posted in WTB thread. I found and am sure that I can find plenty of info about DIY tank stand but I dont have the tools nor the time to do it. Being new to the saltwater aquarium doesnt help with the sump too.

I'll check out Petland Discounts. I just dont want to spend too much $ right now because I know I'll upgrade a yr or two from now :p

Good luck with the stand buddy ^_^

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I would go for a longer tank for a sump. Probably get away with a 30g as it would be [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4. That way you get a little bit more water and larger area of displacement. But I would really suggest going with the largest sump you can fit under the stand. Building a stand may be better off cause then you can play with getting an even larger sump like a 40g.
[/FONT]

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
standbuild3014.jpg
i built this stand myself i have a 24x24x12 deep blue on top with a 29g sump going in on bottom. i prefer bigger sumps. stand IMO doesnt look bad being its a tad bigger than the actual main tank. kind of reminds me of something out of a movie where a big diamond will pop out of the glass from the bottom lol

TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Thanks. Think i'll try to obtain a 20g sump with overflow. I posted it WTB forum and will be scouting Craigslist for stand and sump. Couple ppl are telling me to just go for an empty 20g and make my own sump, but I'm clueless because i'm still new to the saltwater system.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I would go for a longer tank for a sump. Probably get away with a 30g as it would be [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4. That way you get a little bit more water and larger area of displacement. But I would really suggest going with the largest sump you can fit under the stand. Building a stand may be better off cause then you can play with getting an even larger sump like a 40g.
[/FONT]
Exactly what I was going to say. Go with a 30 gallon.

TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I have two Eheim canisters (2213 & 2215) that came with the 45g when I bought it. I'm basically getting rid of everything except those two canisters from the original deal. The Eheim 2213 have nothing but rocks in it. The Eheim 2215 have some bio-balls, LR, and Carbon in it. I currently have close to 50 lbs of LR on top of the ones in the canister. I also bought an Eheim 1260 pump because the pump that came with the 45g does not work. Would it be enought if I get a 20-30g sump with the 1260 pump? Do i still need the canisters? if not, I can sell them to buy more stuff for the 75g tank that I'm gathering items to set up.

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
im no professional carpenter or aquarist. but if u like doing things then you can build ur own stand AND ur own sump. its not hard trust me. if u dont have the equipment to build a stand then u should buy one. i bought the tools i needed to build this stand so it came out to be a little more than had i bought a stand. its all good cus i eventually will re-use the tools again anyway. hopefully build another stand down the road for a bigger tank or a smaller tank for my nephews and nieces. as for sump lol all u need is glass and glue basically. no equipment really needed for that.
Thanks. Think i'll try to obtain a 20g sump with overflow. I posted it WTB forum and will be scouting Craigslist for stand and sump. Couple ppl are telling me to just go for an empty 20g and make my own sump, but I'm clueless because i'm still new to the saltwater system.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Go for a 30 gallon and a custom built stand.
It will make all the difference down the road when you need that space to add stuff.

There are some things you will find to be widely accepted about this hobby.
One of them is that you should always go for the largest sump and fuge.

Best of luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: