thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
question how should I leak test my new 210 gal reef tank. Should I fill it with salt water, or RO/DI water or just tap water. how long should I let it sit. If I use Ro/Di water can I then mix my salt right in the tank or if I use salt water and it leaks then I waste all that salt. If I use tap water and there is not leak then I have to empty it all. what should I do?

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
ok one more question i am going to paint the back of the tank black should i use high gloss or semi gloss latex paint. the guy at my local paint store gave me Benjamin more semi gloss. I always just got spray paint high gloss but i can't do that inside the house and i am not lifting this monstrosity so latex i think would work but should i switch it out for high gloss?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i think its a matter of preference what sheen you pick, and after awhile it wont really be able to tell anyway. i just painted the back of my tank indoors and used the small skinny roller. i originally was going to use rustoleum paint and asked the paint guy if i could tint it. after a short discussion i left with a can of behr paint, regular wall paint. the paint adhered well but it took 4 coats to really cover properly.

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
yup all scraped. I used denatured alcohol its ready to go. I am going to roll on with sponge roller and sponge brush. planning on 4 supper thin coats. Thanks Jonathan!
still can't leak test till i get the stand sorted. Thought i would do my homework early so I would be ready go.

FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
A buddy of mine used a background that he purchased from "that pet place" it's like putting on window tints - very easy. It comes in blue or black. Somewhere around $4.95 per foot. I'm very happy with the end result.

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
glad that worked out. One bubble or piece of dust or hair between the tint and the glass and you will see it. used it once but i guess the glass was not clean enough because there was this one spot that i noticed and it bugged the #$% out of me. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: