gotbaksi

Active Reefer
Rating - 40%
2   3   0
I have a Tank Stand that I want to change.
I got water, fish, corals, etc... in the tank.
My tank is 75 gal.

so this is what I am thinking to do

1. Get same size Second tank and move water there.
2. Change the stand.
3. Put water back into the original tank.

The whole process will take maybe 20 minutes.

Is it possible to do it?
good/bad idea?

Any ideas will be appreciated

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
you can put the stuff in anything. brute can rubbermaid containers. Whatever will hold it..

Just do exactly what you said, but I would have a couple heaters and powerheads available. Sounds like it will take 20 mins, but just to be sure, have some stuff in case you need to heat and move the water.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Is there rock in this tank? Can you post a pic?

Are you planning to leave the fish, rock, sand bed (?) and some water in the tank, and just remove most of the water - move the original tank - switch out the stands (assuming it is going back into the same location) - and then put the original tank onto the new stand and refill with water?

You are seriously underestimating the time at 20 minutes :(

You cannot move a tank that has rock/sand/a few inches of water in it without taking the huge risk of likely breaking the tank.
IMO - you need a Plan B...

As Thirty5 said, you need to have extra powerheads and heaters on hand to do this and you really should totally empty the tank before you move it.

gotbaksi

Active Reefer
Rating - 40%
2   3   0
yes Im planing to leave the rock work in the tank. Im thinking of leaving 4 to 5 inches of water in the original tank. The tanks weight will be 120lbs of rock + tank. So total I think 200 lbs? maybe maybe 220. not sure.

I also don't want to break the tank!

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Dude thats a horrible idea..4-5" of water will be about 150lbs itself plus your rock and sand. If 1 rock falls there goes your glass. You need to get something to put all livestock in and all rock. You won't even be able to catch your fish unless you take out all your rock anyway. Take everything out including the water and then do the swap. Leave the sand in but that's it. Use it as an opportunity to do a water change I would say have about 20 gallons of new water ready to rock and toss the bottom layer especially after all the crap that's going to get kicked up after you move the rock and everything.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
+1 to what Triggerman said. If you do the math- you hav at least 100 lb tank. Then add 80lbs lbs of water and I dont how many lbs of rock and sand, thats alot of freaking weight!! Take it all out except for the sand and maybe an inch of water

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Water is 8.5 lbs/gal. Your rock has absorbed water, the sand has absorbed water. You plan in leaving a few inches of water and figure 20 minutes to do? Do this...

Buy a third tank, your going to need it when the tank cracks or falls to the floor and shatters. Also grab a wet/dry vac, some towels and allow yourself 8-10 hours.

What your planning is a disaster. Do it right, like others have suggested.

Cris007

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dude thats a horrible idea..4-5" of water will be about 150lbs itself plus your rock and sand. If 1 rock falls there goes your glass. You need to get something to put all livestock in and all rock. You won't even be able to catch your fish unless you take out all your rock anyway. Take everything out including the water and then do the swap. Leave the sand in but that's it. Use it as an opportunity to do a water change I would say have about 20 gallons of new water ready to rock and toss the bottom layer especially after all the crap that's going to get kicked up after you move the rock and everything.
+2
That's how I did my tank swap. It also helps if the stands r the same height then u can just slide the tank (without bulkheads installed) into position. Without having to actually lift the tank.I had no loses. It took much more than 20min but that was me alone helps to have a extra set of hands.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
you can put the stuff in anything. brute can rubbermaid containers. Whatever will hold it..

Just do exactly what you said, but I would have a couple heaters and powerheads available. Sounds like it will take 20 mins, but just to be sure, have some stuff in case you need to heat and move the water.

+1. Just plan it out and you'll have an easy swap.....

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
You really need to think about this before you actually try it. There is so much that goes into all of this.

Be prepared to have another person there with you. If you can't get the bulkhead off, you will need to lift it out.

You need to figure how much time to actually pump the water out into other containers.
How long to get rock out
Drain Overflow
Move entire setup from where it is to about 4 feet away.
Place new Stand and LEVEL IT!!
Move Sump and filtration into new stand
Lift new tank (bulkheads will be in the way to slide, unless back drilled or not drilled)
Connect all plumbing back
Move rock and Aquascape
then move sand over
Pump Water back into tank and move in livestock

You think 20 mins! I would say at least 3-4 hours, and that is with no hiccups..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: