jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am new to the forum and new to saltwater fish - I just set up a 60 gallon tank and put 55 pouinds of lik=ve rock in it - 55 pounds is ALOT less than i THOUGHT!!! I need to fill in a lot of gaps, what i sthe best way to do this without spending another $300 on rock?

Also - I am looking to build a sump fo rthis tank, to keep the skimmer and heater in - Can someone explain to me what the baffles are for and if its needed? Or point me tin the right direction!

Thank you so Much in advance!!

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
welcome to the forum! im sure many experts here will help out explaining everything and guide you thru. in the mean time check out the reef for beginners forum and stickys n such

in terms of rock, you can buy some dry rock which is lighter in weight and mix it in with the live rock that you just bought. these "dead" rock will become colonized over time.

jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Plan is to do a fish only with the live rock for a while. Id eventually like to get in to some of these cool corals I have been checking out, but I need to wait to invest in more equipment I think.

Immediate plan is to fill in some of the bare spots....

JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
welcome to MR!

I wish I had that problem... too much room in my tank lol. I have a 14gallon tank with about 12-13lbs of rock and it's like playing tetris in there.

Just save the space for the corals that grow fast and big, like toadstools.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Welcome to MR. There are a lot of good people on here that will help you. Just be patient and do your research before you make a decision in this hobby.

All the best,
James

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Welcome to MR how about posting a pic of your tank so we can see what you mean. They also don't make many 60 gallon tanks so you might want to make sure that that's the right size. If it's 36x18x24 it's a 65, if it's 36x18x22 it's a 58, people also call a 55 gallon 60 as well and it's 48x12x20 or 21. The size of the tank will help decide what fish to put in. You also would want to stick with fish that are reef safe so that if you do decide to make it a reef in the future (which you definitely will and sooner than you think!) then it would be much easier if you didn't have to take the tank apart trying to catch fish that won't go with a reef and then trying to re-home them. Basically what I'm saying is do it right the first time, don't skimp and buy junk equipment like coralife skimmers or anything coralife really because you will just have to buy the same stuff again later and waste money, not to mention you won't get even half of what you spent back.

There is plenty of good stuff for sale on here from our members that will save you a lot of money so keep an eye out for things you need.

As far as the baffles in your sump they are to separate your chambers for filtration like a skimmer/fuge/return pump etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: