jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So i bought a bout 50 lbs of live rock form a local shop - Had some issues with my tank and had to drain it and start from scratch - I had the live rock out of water for about 2 days.

So I go the new tank set up and I am wonder how to go about cycling.. I have read that since my rock has been out of water for 2 days there should be plenty of die off to start a cycle. Its about a week and ammo, nitrite and nitrate all read 0. How long before I should see the ammo go up??

Thanks in advance!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
you may need to feed the cycle, add some live bacteria and add a pinch of flake food daily until you notice the cycle start then let if run its course.... every system is different and the only way to tell is to test and take notes to be able to acuratly chart the cycle...

good luck

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
you may need to feed the cycle, add some live bacteria and add a pinch of flake food daily until you notice the cycle start then let if run its course.... every system is different and the only way to tell is to test and take notes to be able to acuratly chart the cycle...

good luck
+1 Try microbacter 7 for you bacteria source. That stuff works great!

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a source, is it enough, probably.

I would get the rock re-cycling for a week and see if you can track ammonia spike all the way through to nitrite and nitrate to confirm.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I use the shrimp method.

Go to your local grocery store with a seafood counter. Buy a RAW shrimp, rinse it with RO to get rid of any possible preservatives or other contaminants that may be present.

Shell it, throw it in your tank and dose the tank with Microbacter7 as the directions state for starting a new aquarium- 1 capful for every 25 gallons each day.

Turn your skimmer off and leave off for 4 hours or so after dosing.

Test daily. You'll see the cycle happen. 2 days is a long time for the rock to be out and was obviously dry when you added? If so it was no longer live rock. It won't hurt you, just make the cycle take longer.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: