jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Every few minutes my drain starts gurgleing and drains about a half inch of water from the overflow, it quickly fills back up and repeats... Its a horrible flushing sound....

The hose shakes pretty violently and I can hear the air coming out the top of the pipe.

I am using the AGA Megaflow pipe for this.. An suggestions?

Thank you!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Increase air flow by hole(s) in the drain pipe cap, you need a balance. Once there's enough air flow that "flushing" will stop.

I drilled multiple small holes in the top of the cap but you can also put an air line valve in a single hole that's nice and snug and adjust it like that.

You can also drill a big hole in the side and twist the cap until the right amount of hole is exposed to give you the right air ratio.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Increase air flow by hole(s) in the drain pipe cap, you need a balance. Once there's enough air flow that "flushing" will stop.

I drilled multiple small holes in the top of the cap but you can also put an air line valve in a single hole that's nice and snug and adjust it like that.

You can also drill a big hole in the side and twist the cap until the right amount of hole is exposed to give you the right air ratio.

Also do a search on durso standpipe.

jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
man - I am really getting annoyed... i feel like everything is such a pain in the butt with this sump...

1. I always feel like I am doing something wrong and im going to come home to an empty tank and a flooded basement.

2. I feel like I am constantly adjusting stuff. And with everything pieced together I wonder if things are actually working the way they should.

Who wants to come here to my house and check out everything make sure its connected properly and if not make it connected properly -

i have the patience to wait for cycling, water changes, etc. But when it comes to this kind of stuff I get annoyed... Espeiclaly when it is in my office and all I hear is water flushing in the background..

Ugggghhhhh

Sorry for the rant!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The AGA megaflow should have a durso already with a hole on top for vent. It sounds like its not draining fast enough so the water level rises, then it creates a siphon which causes the flushing sound and the hose shaking violently. Once the siphon breaks, the process repeats. What size tank is this, and what size return pump are you using? It sounds like the pump may be too strong, and a simple ball valve on the return would fix this.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actualy used a t instead of a 90 and its super quite. works great and great for water changed and top of u can put the line into it being that i have a large vat in my garage for rodi. i can just pump it into there without having to hold to hose! lazy.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The AGA megaflow should have a durso already with a hole on top for vent. It sounds like its not draining fast enough so the water level rises, then it creates a siphon which causes the flushing sound and the hose shaking violently. Once the siphon breaks, the process repeats. What size tank is this, and what size return pump are you using? It sounds like the pump may be too strong, and a simple ball valve on the return would fix this.

+1. It could be as simple of a fix as Ming stated- we'll go oveer the whole deal and get it straightened out. May just need a ball valve, may need more air, could be a combination of both. We'll get it right no worries.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have the same problem with my 70g in my case was the return pump I added a ball value to reduced pressure and it work...

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Who makes the tank? U might need to add holes to the drain cap.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332260830254.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332260830254.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 137

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: