So my current parameters are as follows:

temp: 79
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: <5
SG: 1.023
Mg: 1260
Ca: 490
dKH: 7.7

With this in mind, from everything I have read, it seems my Mg is too low and my Ca is too high, is this correct?

What are solutions for this?

I'm using ESV Salts with RODI water.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yes you mag is a little low and the cal is a little high your alk is a little low too. Its not that far off i would just raise the mag and the alk and the cal will drop on its own. Do you test when you mix your esv salt?

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well I just received my alk, calc and mg tests last week. I tested once, gave it a week, tested again, after a water change and there really wasn't any change.

How do you raise the mag and alk? Probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure I do it right.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
you can dose or you can just mix the new salt water with higher mag and alk. the salt mix the bag that is magnesium sulfate will raise the mag of the solution and i believe bottle b of the mix is the one for alk. or you can get some 2 part solution and dose it that way but form the looks of your tank on your tank thread it not that heavly stocked yet so you most likely dont need to do that yet wc should do just fine. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ium-and-alkalinity-total-package-small-2.html

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Alright, I'm a bit confused...

So I mixed up some fresh water today and added addition magnesium sulfate, I added 6 extra grams, and with the part B of the mix I added and an additional 4 grams. I let it mix for a while and began testing. My Mg was in a good range, but my alk and Ca were through the roof!

So I guess I'm back to square one?!?!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3n5vhg

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Dj is this a reef or fish only? If a reef what kind of corals? Reef salinity should be around 0.25 as far as cal and alk your origional #s were not that far off in my opinion it's more important to keep them stable as close to those so called ideals as possible no good things happen fast in this hobby keep testing and watching your tank if all inhabitants are happy your ok stability is key in my opinion. I'm no expert but i've been doing this for a while and this approach works for me good luck

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Its not really that high but i would dilute a little how big is the batch you might not need much just add some water adjust your sal. and retest. I always like to start on the lower side its easier to bring the lvls up

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: