chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecosystem Aquarium Miracle Mud . i have seen youtube vids sayin with this product u dont need a skimmer. is that true or just Ecosystem trying 2 sell it. i have also heard if u do run a skimmer with it u dont have to keep it on 24/7.

if thats ture and safe can i just run my skimmer and reactors only in the day time???

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I don't have any personal experience with it but if it really was a "miracle" product then it would be in everyone's system and we wouldn't have to spend all this money on equipment to do the same thing. As far as the mineral part it has all sorts of trace element in it witch allot of people say works great for that. So with that being said i would still run the skimmer and reactors.

iliriano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reactor yes, and yes about the skimmer, but just for a few hour,( to me a skimmer in every system kills the bac. That turn ammonia into nitrite, and nitrate, also kill the phynto that grow in your refugium.) Again it just my option. That why your collection cup is green most of the time. If you don't thing so when you buy live phynto is the some hunter green.)

My old tank 46g bow no skimmer, no mm, no po4 reactor. All my levels were good everything was 0ppm. My problem Started when I got some macro algea with CYANO, and its was only in my refugium.

iliriano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If your using mm, and you started your system with out one, YES It might hurt your system if you run it all day. if you started with one and mm, and only run it 2 to 3 hours a day, then NO.

I started running my skimmer only 18h a day, and then started taking it down, till I has no skimmer on my 46g bow.

After all isn't this hobby about time and paytions.

I I'm not a master aquarist, but if you do research and understand skimmer, you see that there are many that use mm and no skimmer.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Iliriano, as per your profile, you have been in the hobby for three months. Do you have evidence of what you are stating?

The wealth of knowledge on this website and many others affirms the use of protein skimmers, even in systems with MM in their sumps.
The dubious claims of replacing the single most efficient nutrient exporting mechanism with a layer of mud are pure fantasy at this point.

iliriano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Iliriano, as per your profile, you have been in the hobby for three months. Do you have evidence of what you are stating?

The wealth of knowledge on this website and many others affirms the use of protein skimmers, even in systems with MM in their sumps.
The dubious claims of replacing the single most efficient nutrient exporting mechanism with a layer of mud are pure fantasy at this point.

Yes this web is the most informative, web out there. One that have many....input on things.we vould all agree to that. But let me ask you something, what are the main purpose of a skimmer? As per the evidence part I don't have any VID or pic, of my old tank. But there are few guy that have posted on youtube their tanks with mm.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
As per the evidence part I don't have any VID or pic, of my old tank. But there are few guy that have posted on youtube their tanks with mm.

OK I was just wondering where you were getting your information from.

There are plenty of reefers that say skimmers remove trace elements.
But there are exponentially more experienced reefers that are running skimmers and growing some of the most demanding corals. If they are removing elements these corals would not be growing.
How many TOTM systems are not running skimmers and only using MM?

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
OK I was just wondering where you were getting your information from.

There are plenty of reefers that say skimmers remove trace elements.
But there are exponentially more experienced reefers that are running skimmers and growing some of the most demanding corals. If they are removing elements these corals would not be growing.
How many TOTM systems are not running skimmers and only using MM?

None....:D...... I feel the benefits far out weigh not having one. There are always exceptions...but for the most part skimmer all the way

reefrookie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im going to hop on this thread. First about my tank. I have a 33gallon long with a aqua c remora skimmer (run 24/7), and a large HOB fuge with MM and Cheato. The tank has been set up this way for about one year. This being said I have been having a problem with color in some of my corals (mushrooms and some sps), but still get good growth in SPS but not so much zoas. I do 5gallon water changes once a week using ESV salt. Do you think my skimming is too much? If so how long should the skimmer be run daily?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: