vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
Made an account when I first started out but wanted to get more familiar with the hobby before I would ask for help and/or contribute. I really, really want to start a salt water tank in my basement that has just been recently renovated. There's a small place by me called the Franklin Pet Center that is 90% devoted to aquariums. I honestly go in every week to pick the owner's brain. I would love as much insight as I could get though.

I have a 10 gallon fresh water tank with a Betta Aqua Clear Multi-stage filter rated for a 50 gallon Tank (was told to always go bigger) with a couple of neon and glow light tetras, 3 corydora's and 2 freshwater shrimp (not sure what species). Been practicing for a year and been learning a lot. I wanna get another tank and try salt water this time, except go all out!

Saved enough money and decided I want to do 100 gallon reef ready tank with a state of the art LED lighting system. I'm aware it's gonna be expensive, especially with the amount of live rock and sand I would have to put in, but I want to do it right. The owner at the Franklin Pet Center would provide the live rock and live sand and has a wonderful selection of salt water fish and corals.

Off the bat, I want to start with 2 anemones and 2 clownfish (ocellaris) (was advised to have one anemone per clownfish, please advise me differently if otherwise). Feel like those are good fish to start off with once the tank is cycled (so I hear as well).

This is where I need help. I would love to add plenty of more fish. I'm kind of obsessed with finding Nemo and would definitely like to get a descent amount of fish from the movie in there (Hippo tang, Yellow tang, some type of butterfly and a starfish etc.) Wouldn't mind having a goby in there too. I'm honestly open for ideas for fish compatibility. I've learned the order you put the fish in the tank is crucial depending on how aggressive fish are and compatible and what not.

Looking to do this right the first time and would appreciate ANY feedback, positive or negative, in helping me get this tank set up.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing from you guys,
---Vinny M.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
First off welcome to mr and thanks for asking info before starting a tank, many people here will help u get started. Ill chime in as soon as i get home on the comp

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
welcome to MR. This is a great place to get info from. But first, you mention 100g tank, what are the dimensions? cuz that mostly decides how expansive the LEDs will be.

as to the clownfish and anemones, you don't really need to buy anemones for the clown unless you really want the anemone. most clowns are tank breed nowadays so they don't really need an anemone to be happy. LR usually is 1 Lb per gallon, sand depends on if you want to go deep sand bed or not. For deep sand bed you need at least 4-6 inches, non deep sand bed keep it under 2.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So you've been talking to Manny at the Franklin Pet Center? He is very knowledgable about the fish and a really nice guy! :)

Anemones should not go into a new tank - they are too sensitive. They should be put in an 'established' tank which would be considered to be a tank that is at least a year old and has had very stable parameters (Salinity, Calcium, Alkalinity and magnesium levels as well as the correct pH level, Nitrates & phosphates).

While picking the brains of someone is always helpful, my first suggestion for you would be to read a great book about how a reef tank should run and what you need to know. That book would be The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert (Bob) Fenner as it contains good, common sense info about the hobby.

Do you already have a particular tank picked out? A fairly common size is a 120g due to the dimensions of 4'L X 24" H and 24 " deep and the stand is a decent enough size to fit a sump underneath.

Another suggestion would be for you to take a look through some of the Tank Threads on here (there is a tab slightly below this section on the first page of the site) to get an idea what people have sdone with different sized tanks. there are MANY pics in the tank threads to get ideas from!
You may also want to keep an eye on our 'Marketplace' page where members post used items for sale at good prices..both equipment and corals & fish (you have months before your tank would be ready for corals or fish..so look at the pics and dream :)).

Can we assume you plan to use RO or RO/DI water to start this tank?

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the advice! Not sure on the dimensions, tank size was a bit tentative. Another member recommended 120 gallon and dimensions are good enough to fit a nice sump underneath. Need to do more research in that department

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
key to this is patience and good husbandry! i think the major things to get hooked up with first is RO/DI water filter which removes most sediments and chemicals in the tap water. second thing is get your rocks sand, skimmer sump up and running. and then waiting for it to cycle. another thing i think everybody should have is an auto top off, just keeps things stable

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Help with my first salt water tank

Yea! That Manny! He's awesome and has been really patient with me. I do plan to use an RO/DI for the water to start my tank.
I talked with Manny and he recommended this 90 gallon tank he could order (not sure the dimensions, I should probably ask him next time I go) in which he had a state of the art LED setup for it already in the store to sell. I think we settled on the 90 gal and lights because of how expensive it was getting.

I will definitely check out that book! I'll also check out the threads. I'm having a little difficult time maneuvering through this website, but I'll eventually find it. I'll mention the 120 gal. to Manny and see what he thinks price wise.

Do you have any recommendations on first fish to put into the tanks once they're cycled?
Again, appreciate the feedback

So you've been talking to Manny at the Franklin Pet Center? He is very knowledgable about the fish and a really nice guy! :)

Anemones should not go into a new tank - they are too sensitive. They should be put in an 'established' tank which would be considered to be a tank that is at least a year old and has had very stable parameters (Salinity, Calcium, Alkalinity and magnesium levels as well as the correct pH level, Nitrates & phosphates).

While picking the brains of someone is always helpful, my first suggestion for you would be to read a great book about how a reef tank should run and what you need to know. That book would be The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert (Bob) Fenner as it contains good, common sense info about the hobby.

Do you already have a particular tank picked out? A fairly common size is a 120g due to the dimensions of 4'L X 24" H and 24 " deep and the stand is a decent enough size to fit a sump underneath.

Another suggestion would be for you to take a look through some of the Tank Threads on here (there is a tab slightly below this section on the first page of the site) to get an idea what people have sdone with different sized tanks. there are MANY pics in the tank threads to get ideas from!
You may also want to keep an eye on our 'Marketplace' page where members post used items for sale at good prices..both equipment and corals & fish (you have months before your tank would be ready for corals or fish..so look at the pics and dream :)).

Can we assume you plan to use RO or RO/DI water to start this tank?

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
First off welcome to mr. and thank you for asking for info first not after you wiped out a tank like a lot of people have done.
As for the tank size all depends on how much room you have the 90 is 48"x18"x24" and the 120 is 48"x24"x24" so it really doesn't take up to much more room for extra space and volume. for setting it up and cycling it you can use dry rock and dry sand it is a lot cheaper plus you don't have to worry about hitch hikers or you can check out the market place and buy a lot of stuff there ( i think most of my tank came form there lol ) next as far as live stock make sure you research what you buy before you buy it so you know you can take care of the needs of it. And just rember patience is key.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have the same size footprint as the 90. The 18" depth seems really nice and spacious until you start adding live rock. With any appropriate amount of rockwork you will be left with little room for the fish to swim. And with the aesthetics of depth it will look rather 2 dimensional.
The 120 offers 6 more inches in that critical dimension. Something to seriously consider. As I said, I started with the same footprint and now I am building a tank with the 24" depth as the 120.

Also, if you want a clownfish pair with anemone you will want to get the clowns from the same tank, hopefully the same brood. As they are very territorial once they differentiate sexually. If you end up with two females, you could quickly find a corpse.
If you decide to add a nem, when the tank matures for a few months minimum, you dont need two. A bubble tip anemone is the 'easiest' to maintain that clownfish have been known to host. A mated pair of clowns will host the same object leaving the other nem to be ignored. But there are other creatures that host nems. So you could always get shrimp or a porcelain crab.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There's a small place by me called the Franklin Pet Center that is 90% devoted to aquariums.

Manny is a good friend of mine and I have been going there since the place opened over 20 years ago. (when Manny was a Kid and worked there) I even did a lot of electrical wiring of the place.
You live right near me, almost walking distance as I am in New Hyde Park. You are welcome to come to my house to discuss aquariums but I have to try very hard to not give you too many suggestions. I am considered a little radical (and wierd).
I promise not to talk you into using a Under gravel filter.
Nice to meet you.
Paul

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Awesome, welcome to MR. I hope your spirit and quest for information helps you well in this hobby.

What is the other type of equipment you are planning to have?
I think that knowing the 'clean up' part of your system will help to dictate the type and amount of fish that may work well in your system.

Good luck!

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to mr. and thank you for asking for info first not after you wiped out a tank like a lot of people have done.
As for the tank size all depends on how much room you have the 90 is 48"x18"x24" and the 120 is 48"x24"x24" so it really doesn't take up to much more room for extra space and volume. for setting it up and cycling it you can use dry rock and dry sand it is a lot cheaper plus you don't have to worry about hitch hikers or you can check out the market place and buy a lot of stuff there ( i think most of my tank came form there lol ) next as far as live stock make sure you research what you buy before you buy it so you know you can take care of the needs of it. And just rember patience is key.

Thanks for tips! What's your opinion on a 6ft tank?

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manny is a good friend of mine and I have been going there since the place opened over 20 years ago. (when Manny was a Kid and worked there) I even did a lot of electrical wiring of the place.
You live right near me, almost walking distance as I am in New Hyde Park. You are welcome to come to my house to discuss aquariums but I have to try very hard to not give you too many suggestions. I am considered a little radical (and wierd).
I promise not to talk you into using a Under gravel filter.
Nice to meet you.
Paul

Thanks man, will defintely take up the offer soon! Trying to get through this semester first. Is it cool if I touch base with you within the next couple of weeks?

vinnymang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size footprint as the 90. The 18" depth seems really nice and spacious until you start adding live rock. With any appropriate amount of rockwork you will be left with little room for the fish to swim. And with the aesthetics of depth it will look rather 2 dimensional.
The 120 offers 6 more inches in that critical dimension. Something to seriously consider. As I said, I started with the same footprint and now I am building a tank with the 24" depth as the 120.

Also, if you want a clownfish pair with anemone you will want to get the clowns from the same tank, hopefully the same brood. As they are very territorial once they differentiate sexually. If you end up with two females, you could quickly find a corpse.
If you decide to add a nem, when the tank matures for a few months minimum, you dont need two. A bubble tip anemone is the 'easiest' to maintain that clownfish have been known to host. A mated pair of clowns will host the same object leaving the other nem to be ignored. But there are other creatures that host nems. So you could always get shrimp or a porcelain crab.

Love the clownfish advice! REally appreciate it! I really would like a 6ft tank. Asking everybody what's they're thoughts on that.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
You a 6 foot tank is nice But its going to be more money for the lights and also depends on how much room you have. but its also nice to have a good size tank that you can grow into so you don't get the need to upgrade with in the first year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: